collapse

Author Topic: EA Controller  (Read 126371 times)

Offline petermatt

Re: EA Controller
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2018, 12:27:27 AM »
I'm sorry but I still don't get it.
I set up a separate Demo account to test the VFX EA with the Controller/Trade Manager. The Controller Trade at Start was set to True MA5 but all other Presets are default.

What I expected was that with the Trade Manager managing the trades there would be a 10 pip loss on losing trades. What I actually got was:
1. Controller EA - SL 28.2 pips (Expected as EA Default SL is 30 and Controller EA is not managed by the Trade Manager)
2. Normal EA - SL 10 pips (Expected)
2. Reverse EA - SL 30 pips (Expected only 10 Pips).

See attached.

Pete

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2018, 03:53:06 AM »
I'm sorry but I still don't get it.
I set up a separate Demo account to test the VFX EA with the Controller/Trade Manager. The Controller Trade at Start was set to True MA5 but all other Presets are default.

What I expected was that with the Trade Manager managing the trades there would be a 10 pip loss on losing trades. What I actually got was:
1. Controller EA - SL 28.2 pips (Expected as EA Default SL is 30 and Controller EA is not managed by the Trade Manager)
2. Normal EA - SL 10 pips (Expected)
2. Reverse EA - SL 30 pips (Expected only 10 Pips).

See attached.

Pete

Hi Pete
For testing/understanding purpose, you would be better off trying this system on either of the FXAE EAs.

Reason is that the VFX EA is a bit of an unusual beast in terms of its Reverse function. Let me try and explain.

The VFX EA v1.4, a 3rd party EA, has two trade entries; one is the normal one and the other is the reverse which is set as a pending order and  only triggered at the SL level set for the normal entry. It is NOT triggered at the same level as the normal one.

So in the SET files I have provided, I have set Normal version of the EA (magic  6112237) to trade at 0.1 for the normal entry and 0.01 for the reverse entry. And then for the Reverse version of the EA (magic 9112237) I have set normal entry at 0.01 and Reverse at 0.1. (Note that we have to set lot sizes for both entries otherwise the EA won't trade.)

In other words it is not a true Reversed EA. But since it is a 3rd party EA there is nothing I can do about that. And it is proving to be profitable when run in this setup you are testing.

Except for the trade on 18 Jan! That day we got badly whipsawed. So the normal entry was triggered; closed at SL and then the reverse entry was triggered. But then price reversed again and so the reverse entry was also closed at its SL.

From the record you have provided and looking at the trades by magic number, it looks as if the three trades were opened correctly at 11.40 but for some reason the reverse entry on the Normal EA (6112237) was cancelled immediately and for some reason the TM for the Normal EA (6112237) was activated closing the trade at 17.23. Since you had trade at start true and MA 5, the TM should not have been active since these were the first trades on this account, (ie less than 5 completed trades); so this has to be a glitch. I have not seen this before but I have had other sorts of glitches on MT4 from time to time.

The other trades were opened at 18.23 and closed correctly.

(When a No shows on the TM chart, the No means that the EA on the Controller chart or platform is in downtrend/DD and hence the EA should not be trading. So since we are controlling EAs via the TM in this case, then the TM needs to be activated when this occurs, ie when the signal is No. So that it can then apply the tight SL of 10 pips or whatever. Hence the TM interprets a No signal as a sign that it has to be active - the TM is thinking "this trade should not be occurring so I have to close it quickly if it indeed it goes into a loss".)

If you look at my test account for this setup at https://www.fxblue.com/users/20419063, and Filter for 18 Jan 2018 and eurjpy, then for the same day/same trades the setup worked correctly. But then this account has a longer history, the VFX EA is in uptrend and so the TM closed the normal trade (0.01 lot) on the Reverse EA (magic 9112237) at 10 pips SL thus cancelling the other one. So the 5 trades collectively only suffered a $28 loss.

Offline petermatt

« Reply #197 on: January 20, 2018, 07:46:31 PM »
Hi Andrew,

So I guess, in a nutshell, the Trade Manager does not really control the trades once they are triggered as the 10 pip Stop Loss only appeared to worked in your account on one trade.  Can I therefore assume that there is no history showing that using the Trade Manager 10 pip S/L with VFX is more profitable than just using the Controller. I do have another Trade Manager that I can test with VFX which will overide the SL/TP of the EA in all cases.

Pete

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2018, 09:14:59 PM »
Hi Andrew,

So I guess, in a nutshell, the Trade Manager does not really control the trades once they are triggered as the 10 pip Stop Loss only appeared to worked in your account on one trade.  Can I therefore assume that there is no history showing that using the Trade Manager 10 pip S/L with VFX is more profitable than just using the Controller. I do have another Trade Manager that I can test with VFX which will overide the SL/TP of the EA in all cases.

Pete

Hi Pete

Don't have time now to show you, (off to Melbourne for the tennis) but the TM does work and it did exactly as it should in the example I shared; it was only supposed to work on that one trade since that was the one that had to be stopped based on the performance curve. The EA on my account is in uptrend and therefore the TM was deactivated for the Normal version of the EA (6112237). Your other TM won't have the signal code so it won't be able to respond to the signals from the Controller. In this setup the TM is under the control of the Controller calculating when the EA is in uptrend or downtrend, and activating the TM to manage accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:19:50 PM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Pete

Hi Pete

Don't have time now to show you, (off to Melbourne for the tennis) but the TM does work and it did exactly as it should in the example I shared; it was only supposed to work on that one trade since that was the one that had to be stopped based on the performance curve. The EA on my account is in uptrend and therefore the TM was deactivated for the Normal version of the EA (6112237). Your other TM won't have the signal code so it won't be able to respond to the signals from the Controller. In this setup the TM is under the control of the Controller calculating when the EA is in uptrend or downtrend, and activating the TM to manage accordingly.

In my rush I may not have understood your question correctly, or at least fully. So let me try again.

Issue 1: Control directly or via the TM?
The VFX EA is the only 3rd party EA for which I have the source code and so that is the only one that I have been able to modify with the signal code. So this is the only 3rd party EA for which we can compare the two methods - direct control of EA vs indirect control of EA via the TM.
In the direct method the EAs (Normal and Reverse) are switched on or off as required by the Controller. In the indirect method the EAs are allowed to run continuously and the TM then selectively closes any opened trades that would otherwise have never opened as in the direct method, once it reaches -10 pips.
To date I am getting better results for this EA (VFX EJ) using the indirect method.

Issue 2: Effectiveness of the DIY Trade Manager Plus
The TM is NOT supposed to close every trade at -10 pip. If that is what we wanted, we would just set the SL to -10 on the EA. In this indirect method we want the TM to only close a trade at -10 pip depending on whether the EA's performance is in uptrend or downtrend. The DIY TM Plus has been coded so that it can receive signals from the Controller. 3rd party TMs do not have that code so they cannot be used in this manner.

I hope that is clearer.

For the comparison, Filter for eurjpy on the following two accounts. Profit factor 2.22 vs 1.85 for EURJPY

Controlling the Trade Manager - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20419063
Controlling the EA - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20469928

Online nwboater

« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2018, 04:52:15 AM »
I just saw your post in the "Quitting Forex" thread. You replied after some comments on the poor performance of breakout strategies the past few months.

My understanding of breakout systems are that we must endure sometimes long stagnant or DD periods until a big trend develops. If this new trend hits suddenly I wonder if your system would react in time to allow the breakout EA to profit as it should?

Thanks,
Rod
EA's (All run on separate accounts):
Wall Street: Volatility Factor 46%, Wall Street 2 23%, Diamond 11%, Trend Detector 5%.
Cyborg 15%

On Hold: Best Free Scalper & Best Scalper.

Broker: IC Markets
VPS's: Amazon EC2 & Beeks.
Rebates: HFT Group

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2018, 05:25:52 AM »
I just saw your post in the "Quitting Forex" thread. You replied after some comments on the poor performance of breakout strategies the past few months.

My understanding of breakout systems are that we must endure sometimes long stagnant or DD periods until a big trend develops. If this new trend hits suddenly I wonder if your system would react in time to allow the breakout EA to profit as it should?

Thanks,
Rod

Hi Rod,

That is something we would need to test. The Controller can work in one of two ways.

1. By calculating a MA of user-defined "period" (= number of closed trades) of the Balance curve (closed profit/loss).

2. By calculating the RSI of the Balance curve over a user-defined number of trades and setting the desired level(s).

So the timeliness of response by the Controller signalling uptrend or downtrend is dependent on whether we have set a tight or loose MA or RSI of the Balance curve. We can change the setting at any time. So if for example we had been in a long DD, we could then tighten the MA or RSI to get an earlier signal for a new uptrend.
Or, with the RSI version, we could set the RSI level to say 30 (rather than 50) and wait for the Balance curve to breach that RSI level.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2018, 07:34:11 AM »
Time for a check-up

The first two tests in this year-long experiment have now been going for over six weeks. Two EAs were started early October, the others in mid-December. So still early days but worth checking. (The background to all this is explained in Reply #159.)

These first two tests involve running the Normal entry version of the EA when the market conditions are favourable (ie performance is in uptrend); and running the reverse entry version when the EA is in downtrend. And then the two ways of doing that:
1. Controlling the EAs directly (EA on or off depending whether in uptrend or downtrend)
2. Controlling the EAs via the use of the Trade Manager (using the TM to close unwanted trades depending on uptrend or downtrend)

I am using the profit factor (pf) to compare results so that we are not dependent on varying lot sizing.

There are two sets of comparisons to make:
1. The performance of the Monitoring EA (the uncontrolled copy) vs that of the system Total in each case.
2. The performance for each EA in Total under the two different control systems (direct and via TM).

The results are shown in the attached. The two columns of interest are highlighted. My conclusions from this data are as follows:

1. The EURJPY EA performs well by itself (pf 2.08) and slightly better when run with the TM setup (pf 2.13)

2. The EURUSD (48164) performs better when run with either system compared to running it normally (pf rises from 0.78 when run by itself to around 1.3 when run by either system)

3. The results to date for EURUSD (481614), GBPJPY and USDCAD are not encouraging.

4. The finer details in the data reveal that trades are randomly missed some times and that the scale-in trades for EURUSD (481614) and USDCAD are generally negative. So I have now deleted these scale-in entry conditions from the respective strategies. And in the TM system setup, I have reduced the TM's SL setting from 10 pips to 5. The 10pips SLs were getting too expensive relative to the TP levels.

Trading Performance of the different Systems
NOTE: You must use the Filter to set Start date to 14 Nov 2017. These are old accounts, reloaded to $10K, and these tests only started on 14 Nov 2017)

Controlling the Trade Manager - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20419063     See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTnVd7Wnjr4
Controlling the EA - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20469928   See video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7n2Ec8ZRZM
Controlling the Trade Copier - to come     See video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJtDNdtyiU

(The whole purpose of these tests is to find which system works best on which EAs after say 3 or 6 months of trading and then select the best performers to run on a live account.)

You can purchase the licence for 2018 from here (please see Reply #154 for a description of this Package)
https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4721645&QTY=1&CART=1&CARD=2

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2018, 07:19:45 AM »
Another way is coming....

In addition to the two tests described in the previous Reply, we are running a third test where we use the FX Blue Trade Copier to copy both normal and inverted trades and control these with the use of the Trade Manager. Still too early to analyse the results from this.

However, I have now thought of a fourth way by which we can effectively trade normal and reverse trades depending on market conditions.

To do this I am having the Trade Manager modified so that it can enter either normal or reverse entry scale-ins.

So we will run the EA at 0.01 lot, add two copies of the Controller, and load a copy of the TM on each of two extra charts.

When the EA performance is in uptrend, Controller1 will signal to TM1 to add a normal scale-in of 0.1 lot at 5 pips in profit with TP and SL set in accordance with the settings on the EA. And Controller2 will deactivate TM2.

When the EA encounters unfavorable market conditions and goes into downtrend, Controller1 will deactivate TM1. And Controller2 will signal to TM2 to add a reverse scale-in of 0.1 lot at -5 pips in loss.

The Controllers will be set to only measure the performance of the EA-initiated trades by using its magic number. The TM-initiated scale-in trades will operate under their own trade comment.

I am hoping to have this in place some time next week. And make this new version of the TM available to current and new subscribers to this Special Package.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
Controlling with the Trade Manager

Two recent trades by donbons EURNZD EA demonstrate nicely why using the TM to control the Normal entry and Reverse entry trades may be more beneficial than switching the EA on or off depending on the EAs performance.

The EA was in downtrend, closed profit/loss below its MA10, and hence the TM for the Normal entry was switched on and the TM for the Reverse entry was switched off. The EA entered a Sell trade and so the normal entry version EA also entered a Sell trade which should have been closed by the TM at -5 pips.

But price continued heading down when the trade was opened and so the -5 pips SL was not hit and the trade was ultimately closed in profit. This unexpected win largely offset the loss suffered by the reverse entry version EA. (Since the EA was in DD, then in theory, this version should have finished in profit.)

In the previous (Buy) trade we we were not so lucky and so the use of the TM did not provide any advantage.

The image below shows the copied trades that were controlled by the TM.

Before we jump with joy, and at this early stage of testing, we  are not getting any benefit from trading this EA with the Controller system. We are slightly worse off but that is largely due to setting "trade at start" to true (ie the TMs were active from the start). Better off waiting for some 10 or 20 trades to be completed before trying to control the EA based on its performance curve.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2018, 03:32:32 AM »
Report on Second test using the Trade Manager

In this test we are trading five EAs all on the one MT4. Five charts for each EA.
One chart has the EA running normally at 0.01 lot - this is the reference or monitoring chart on which we place the EA Controllers which control the TMs.
The next chart has the Normal entry version running at 0.1 lot and controlled by a TM which is placed on another chart; likewise for the Reverse entry version of the EA.

In the results below I have captured all trades since 1 Jan 2018. I chose that date since prior to that we had two different starting times for the EAs and initially we had trade at start set to true and so the TMs were not managing the trading as they should. We need some time for the performance curve to be established so that the Controller can operate.

As we can see, the trading performance is considerably improved by trading as a system with the Controller and TM. Remember too that the normal trading is at only 0.01 lot (so the $60 or so loss shown on the top chart would equate to a $600 loss if traded also at 0.1 lot); the Controlled trading is at 0.1 lot.

In both the 4 EA and 5 EA portfolios, the Controlled trading results in a profit; normal trading of these EAs as a portfolio resulted in a loss.

But of course we need longer term data so the testing will continue.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #206 on: February 12, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
(Variation on) Equity Curve Trading

The system of trading that we are doing with the EA Controller is a version of what is commonly called Equity Curve trading (https://www.financemagnates.com/forex/bloggers/equity-curve-trading-part-1-moving-averages/ ). Should actually be called Balance Curve trading since we are basing decisions on the Balance of the account (closed P/L) and not the Equity (closed P/L plus open P/L).

So essentially trade while the EA's performance is positive, stop trading when it goes into DD, and restart trading when it starts to perform positively again.

The one big difference in what we are doing with the Controller system is that as well as stopping trading of the normal EA when it is in DD, we also activate a copy of the EA that takes the reverse trades. Hence instead of just worrying about not losing money while our EA is in DD, we actually focus on making money as well by reversing the trades - Buy becomes a Sell and vice versa.

Included in the data posted in the previous Reply, is the data for one of the Autotrader EAs, 48164 EURUSD M15. Taking that data out is shown below.
So what we can see is that even though the EA has been in DD for most of the period, refer data for Magic 48164, overall the EA has been profitable since the reverse version of the EA, 948164, has been in play for most of the time and has been profitable. In this particular system using the TM, the Normal version of the EA, 648164, has also been trading but the TM has closed the trades at a very tight SL (initially -10 pips and now set to -5 pips) whenever the EA, 48164, was in DD.

The comparison is shown graphically in the second image.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:34 AM »
Simulate Reverse trade entry

As mentioned yesterday
"The one big difference in what we are doing with the Controller system is that as well as stopping trading of the normal EA when it is in DD, we also activate a copy of the EA that takes the reverse trades. Hence instead of just worrying about not losing money while our EA is in DD, we actually focus on making money as well by reversing the trades - Buy becomes a Sell and vice versa."

To do that however the EA needs to be equipped with the signal code and it needs to have a reverse entry feature. All EAs made with the FX Autotrader Elite have those features. But for some strange reason not everyone seems to have the Autotrader.   :)  Nor is everyone subscribed to the Special offer for 2018! See Reply #154      What a shame.

But we now have another option that can work with any EA.

I have modified the TM so that it can take reverse entry scale-ins at either +ve or -ve pip values (Stop or Limit orders). By way of example we can now proceed as follows.

1. Place the EA on a chart together with the EA Controller. Set normal lot size, ie the lot size you would trade based on your risk tolerance. Let's say 0.1 lot.

2. Place the DIY Trade Manager Plus V15.00 (due for release soon) on a second chart of the same currency pair. And set a reverse scale-in of 0.2 lot at -5 pips; and appropriate SL and TP and TS.  Enter ID# to link to the Controller which is set to activate the TM whenever the EA is in DD.

3. So when market conditions are favourable the EA will trade as normal with 0.1 lot. When market conditions become unfavourable the EA will start losing, going into DD. When that happens the TM will be activated and when the trade goes to -5pips, the reverse scale-in of 0.2 lot will be entered.

4. Assuming that the trade will continue into loss (after all market conditions are unfavorable so that is what we expect), half of that lot size, ie 0.1 lot, will offset the loss being made by the EA; and the other half of the lot size, the other 0.1 lot, will provide the profit.

So we have effectively opened a reversed trade by using the TM's reverse scale-in feature. And the Controller does not need to control the EA (no signal code needed); it controls the TM instead.

So unlike Test 1 where we are using 5 charts per EA, or Test 3 where we are using the Trade Copier to reverse trades, with this new method we need just two charts per EA and we don't need to use the Trade Copier.

That should lead to smiles all around. Oh well, maybe just me...

I will be setting up Test 4 with this setup soon and provide links to the new account.

The image shows part of the TM V15.00 Inputs for the scale-in feature. (We can do either normal or reverse (stop or limit pending orders) scale-ins and in user-defined steps, eg 10,20,30 etc or -10,-20,-30 for the martingalers).

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2018, 04:20:18 AM »
Performance Update

We currently have 3 tests running with the test involving the use of the Controller in conjunction with the Trade Manager showing the most promise. The overall stats for this since 1 Jan 2018 till present is shown below. In order to make sense of this table please note as follows.

1.The magics shown in red box are the EAs running as monitor at 0.01 lot
2. The magics starting with 6 are the normal entry versions trading at 0.1 lot and controlled via the TM
3. The magics starting with 9 are the reverse entry versions trading at 0.1 lot and controlled via the TM

So the crude comparison is to either use profit factor, or multiply P/L by 10 for the monitoring EAs trading at 0.01 lot, and compare that to the sum of P/L of the corresponding magics starting with 6 and 9.

When we do that we can conclude at this early stage:

1. Overall trading these five EAs by themselves would have resulted in a loss of $570 ($57 x 10); trading them as a system with the Controller and TM would have resulted in a profit of $132. (That is a huge $700 difference in our favour).

2. Virtually no difference for EURJPY, GBPJPY and USDCAD EAs whether trading by themselves or as a system at this stage.

3. Good improvement for the trading of the two EURUSD EAs, FXAE 481614 and 48164.

When we compare this system (Controller plus TM) to the other system where we switch EAs on and off (Test 2), we see that the former has many more trades since all versions of the EAs are always trading with trades being closed by the TM only if and when the trade hits the 5 or 10 pip SL. This seems to bear fruit since the direct control system has lost $287 to date compared to the gain made by the Controller plus TM system of $132.

The third test uses 3rd party EAs and the FX Blue Trade Copier to invert trades and then managing these with the TM. I will be replacing this test with the new test described in the previous Post. Will be a less CPU resource intensive way of testing the same thing.

Trading Performance of the different Systems
NOTE: You must use the Filter to set Start date to 1 January 2018. These are old accounts, reloaded to $10K, and these tests only started on 14 Nov 2017 and 17 December 2017)

Test 1: Controlling the Trade Manager - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20419063     See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTnVd7Wnjr4
Test 2: Controlling the EA - https://www.fxblue.com/users/20469928   See video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7n2Ec8ZRZM
Test 3: Controlling the Trade Copier - to be replaced     See video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJtDNdtyiU

(The whole purpose of these tests is to find which system works best on which EAs after say 3 or 6 months of trading and then select the best performers to run on a live account.)

You can purchase the licence for 2018 from here (please see Reply #154 for a description of this Package)
https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4721645&QTY=1&CART=1&CARD=2

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2018, 07:09:46 AM »
Setting up Test 4

This Test will involve the use of the Controller with the updated TM which can enter reverse scale-ins to simulate reverse entry trades during DD periods (as described in Reply #207).

At this stage I have just set up the EAs to run normally for a week or so until they have done about 10 to 20 trades. Then we will have a bit of a performance curve and so can add a meaningful MA for the Controller.

The EAs I have selected for this Test all have a different trading logic and are freely available (apart from the FXAE 48164 which comes as part of the Special Package. It is the one common EA in all three Tests so that we can compare which method of controlling works best). They are:

1.PZ TheZone on AUDUSD H1  http://www.pointzero-trading.com/Products/free  This customizable and flexible expert advisor trades according to Bill Williams definition of the Trading Zone.
2. PZ ADX Trader on EURAUD H1   http://www.pointzero-trading.com/Products/free  Flexible expert advisor that trades according to the ADX Indicator. It offers flexible entry strategies and position management. This one has been losing badly in my initial testing and so I want to see whether we can "rescue" it by trading with the Controller and TM.
3. FXAE 48164 on EURUSD M15  http://www.fxautotraderelite.com/resources/ Based on several MAs with hedging enabled
4. Forex FireBall on EURUSD M1  https://forexrobotnation.com/your-first-free-forex-robot/  No explanations given by developer but it's working for me
5. Best Free Scalper v1.2 on GBPCAD M1 https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=19928.0  A free Asian session scalper by Automater and using the SET file provided by the developer. Both downloadable from Post1 in that Thread
6. SQ EURNZD EA on M15  https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=19943.0 See explanation from donbon2 in the Thread
7. Forex Samurai on EURUSD H1   http://www.fxsamurairobot.com/ Gets the trading activity of previous week and analyzes the market quotes, all its trades and results, checks support and resistance levels and some other filters. Sure, many filters reduce trades quantity. It makes 1 order in 1-2 days normally.

So when I add a TM for each in a week or so we will have 14 charts open which should be quite doable. Let the games begin.....

PS Forgot about the 8th

8. VFX London Breakout v1.12 on GBPJPY H1 https://www.mql5.com/en/code/17465  Works as per name. This is the version which does NOT have a reverse entry at the SL of the initial entry, as does v1.3 which is used in Tests 1 and 2. BT by a colleague shows that this version (1.12) on this pair is profitable overall but can have longish DD periods; so should be a good test to see if the Controller can improve performance. during such DD periods.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:30:03 PM by diyforexskills »

browse forum