collapse

Author Topic: DIY Frequent Trader  (Read 5459 times)

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: DIY Frequent Trader
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 01:42:04 AM »
And then there were Three

Having now almost two months of comparative performance data for the M15 and H4 portfolios, I decided to start a third portfolio by copying the best of M15 and H4 onto a third account using the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier (a free trade copier).

In order to lessen the pressure on margin, I am using the Copier feature to ensure that pending orders from the H4 account are only copied to the new account if and when they are triggered.

This new account was started on Monday and can be followed from here https://www.fxblue.com/users/sydap2003mix

Initial results are as per image.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:45:15 AM by diyforexskills »
Information, rebates and products -
http://www.diyforexskills.com

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
And then there were Three

Having now almost two months of comparative performance data for the M15 and H4 portfolios, I decided to start a third portfolio by copying the best of M15 and H4 onto a third account using the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier (a free trade copier).

In order to lessen the pressure on margin, I am using the Copier feature to ensure that pending orders from the H4 account are only copied to the new account if and when they are triggered.

This new account was started on Monday and can be followed from here https://www.fxblue.com/users/sydap2003mix

Initial results are as per image.

The mixed portfolio has recovered quite nicely; will work some more on this when back from holidays.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 06:24:30 AM »
The Yen short pairs on the live account have caused a lot of damage so have now closed them.

I really need to do some fixing on this portfolio and will do so when I return from holidays.

At least the oysters were mouth watering good today! Helping to salvage some of the bitterness from the losses.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 06:33:41 AM »
The Yen short pairs on the live account have caused a lot of damage so have now closed them.

I really need to do some fixing on this portfolio and will do so when I return from holidays.

At least the oysters were mouth watering good today! Helping to salvage some of the bitterness from the losses.

Getting Ready

The H4 account has been running since September and profitable. The M15 account was opened in January and closed in March. The Mixed account, copying the best from each of H4 and M15, was opened in mid-February and running profitably (see fxblue link in Sig).

Looking at all this I am confident that these strategies have legs and are worth pursuing in a "controlled" manner making use of the EA Controller. So the plan is as follows:

1. Re-optimise those M15 and H4 strategies which have been in decline for several weeks - about 10.

2. Combine all H4 and M15 strategies on the one demo platform, each with its own EA Controller.

3. Run a duplicate set of all these strategies on a second demo platform but with the EA Controller on the first platform only allowing the profitable ones to run on the second platform.

4. Re-optimise any failing strategies as required.

5. So on the second platform we will only have profitable strategies running. And then we will establish a second success filter by copying this portfolio to a live account but only when the portfolio as a whole is running profitably (Closed Profit greater than the SMA of the past 20 closed trades). We do this by using the EA Controller in conjunction with the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier. That Copier was modified at my request some years ago to enable the copying to be controlled by the EA Controller.

I will set all this up when I return home in a week or so. You can check out the thread on the EA Controller here https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=19585.msg363042#msg363042

PS I forgot to make the Freq Trader Mix account (the fxblue link) indefinite, and so it has now been made inactive after 30 days. Oh well, the new testing setup as described above will start end March, and be on an indefinite expiry account.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:21:43 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »

Getting Ready

The H4 account has been running since September and profitable. The M15 account was opened in January and closed in March. The Mixed account, copying the best from each of H4 and M15, was opened in mid-February and running profitably (see fxblue link in Sig).

Looking at all this I am confident that these strategies have legs and are worth pursuing in a "controlled" manner making use of the EA Controller. So the plan is as follows:

1. Re-optimise those M15 and H4 strategies which have been in decline for several weeks - about 10.

2. Combine all H4 and M15 strategies on the one demo platform, each with its own EA Controller.

3. Run a duplicate set of all these strategies on a second demo platform but with the EA Controller on the first platform only allowing the profitable ones to run on the second platform.

4. Re-optimise any failing strategies as required.

5. So on the second platform we will only have profitable strategies running. And then we will establish a second success filter by copying this portfolio to a live account but only when the portfolio as a whole is running profitably (Closed Profit greater than the SMA of the past 20 closed trades). We do this by using the EA Controller in conjunction with the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier. That Copier was modified at my request some years ago to enable the copying to be controlled by the EA Controller.

I will set all this up when I return home in a week or so. You can check out the thread on the EA Controller here https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=19585.msg363042#msg363042

PS I forgot to make the Freq Trader Mix account (the fxblue link) indefinite, and so it has now been made inactive after 30 days. Oh well, the new testing setup as described above will start end March, and be on an indefinite expiry account.

Back home for a day and five pairs re-optimised so far (separate set files for longs and shorts); so about halfway. Am being conservative and aiming for higher profit factor, lower DDs, rather than maximum profits. Will then need to set up the two platforms and link with EA Controllers etc which will require attention to detail. So aiming for a new start on Monday with this new setup.

Am noticing that the BT results of existing strategies over periods for which I have forward test results, are similar, providing some level of confidence that BT results are realistic. But of course it says nothing about how well these new strategies will perform in the future.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 01:15:00 AM »
Progress

All 20 strategies were finalized yesterday (10 shorts and 10 longs). The grass, fueled by 800 mm of rain while we were away, has been tamed by the lawnmower this morning and so we are all set to set up the two trading platforms with the Autotraders and Controllers as described in previous Posts. The job for today.

All strategies are more conservative now in terms of potential SL closures; as shown for example for the EURGBP Short strategy BT as shown. The marty scaleins/pending orders at -100 were only used twice during this BT period as shown in shaded area; and the ones at -200 pips, never, so have now been removed.
(Note that pending orders are included in the 100 open trades limit on MT4, so we want to limit these when we are running many pairs.)

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
Progress

All 20 strategies were finalized yesterday (10 shorts and 10 longs). The grass, fueled by 800 mm of rain while we were away, has been tamed by the lawnmower this morning and so we are all set to set up the two trading platforms with the Autotraders and Controllers as described in previous Posts. The job for today.

All strategies are more conservative now in terms of potential SL closures; as shown for example for the EURGBP Short strategy BT as shown. The marty scaleins/pending orders at -100 were only used twice during this BT period as shown in shaded area; and the ones at -200 pips, never, so have now been removed.
(Note that pending orders are included in the 100 open trades limit on MT4, so we want to limit these when we are running many pairs.)

Mission Accomplished

Both MT4s now fully populated. Busy platforms as shown below for Platform 1 which has the EA Controllers which will manage the same EAs on the second platform; allowing them to only trade when market conditions are suitable, ie that closed profit is above its moving average. If and when closed profit falls below its MA (ie goes into DD), I will wait to see whether the market resumes its previous dynamic, ie EA becomes profitable again, for a couple of trading sets. If not, I will re-optimise. But at least then most of the prior DD will have been avoided.

I will add the third platform, a live account, to take the signals from the second platform (using the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier) but only while the portfolio as a whole on the second platform is profitable. Again that will be done by using the EA Controller, this time for all symbols as one, rather than for individual strategies.

It will be this third platform, the live account, from which any signal service will be offered should this system prove to be successful.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »
Progress

Mission Accomplished

Both MT4s now fully populated. Busy platforms as shown below for Platform 1 which has the EA Controllers which will manage the same EAs on the second platform; allowing them to only trade when market conditions are suitable, ie that closed profit is above its moving average. If and when closed profit falls below its MA (ie goes into DD), I will wait to see whether the market resumes its previous dynamic, ie EA becomes profitable again, for a couple of trading sets. If not, I will re-optimise. But at least then most of the prior DD will have been avoided.

I will add the third platform, a live account, to take the signals from the second platform (using the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier) but only while the portfolio as a whole on the second platform is profitable. Again that will be done by using the EA Controller, this time for all symbols as one, rather than for individual strategies.

It will be this third platform, the live account, from which any signal service will be offered should this system prove to be successful.

The image below shows how the EA Controller works. Currently, the GBPCHF Sell strategy is one of three strategies (out of 20 in total) that are in DD on Platform 1; and so trading of these on Platform 2 has been suspended by the Controller on Platform 1. As is shown for GBPCHF in the image.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 03:16:43 AM »
Monitoring

Two myfxbook links are now available for monitoring; one for the uncontrolled strategies and one for the controlled strategies as explained in previous Posts.  Pls note:

1. ICM has also reduced leverage on their demo platforms to 30:1 so I have added $50K to the uncontrolled account (to ensure enough margin) but kept lot sizing the same at 0.02 lot. Note also that this account has of course been going since October last year and that it has some legacy trades from last week which still need to be completed. So comparison between the two accounts can only really commence from next week.

2. The controlled account is being run on Think and they appear to still allow demo accounts at 200:1 so that is just a $5K account. Currently three strategies out of the 21 are paused by the Controller, awaiting a return to profitability. But otherwise things are humming along nicely.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 01:08:42 AM »

Mission Accomplished

Third platform

Have just realised that my idea of using the EA Controller to control the copying onto a third (live) platform (as described above) is not going to work. Reason being that once the copier is stopped, any open trades on the receiver platform will be left hanging,  not managed by any EA.

This does not happen when we use the Controller with the Autotrader. When the Autotrader is signaled to stop trading by the Controller, it stops opening new orders but stays enabled to manage any open positions remaining. Will have to see whether FXBlue can do the same with their copiers - we can but ask. If not, I will open the live account as a (second) controlled platform and use the ArgoGuardian EA as a safety measure to close all trades and switch off autotrading if and when the account is at a prescribed equity and/or balance DD.

Currently we are doing well after three days - closing out $75 per day. But CADJ is in a bit of trouble and so we will get more realistic soon. I already have a new version for that strategy ready to roll since the dynamic exit for the current strategy is obviously not working.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 12:56:58 AM »
A Dose of Reality

We knew the good times would not last and today we are at a large open DD - some $650. Prior to this open DD had been varying between $100 to $200 in loss.

We have over the last few days closed out some losing baskets while still closing in higher profits overall, but that won't be the case now. So we wait to see what the market does and maybe look at tightening up some of the sl/exit settings. Then again, the euraud and eurnzd looked bad for a couple of days but recovered.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 06:34:53 AM »
A Dose of Reality

We knew the good times would not last and today we are at a large open DD - some $650. Prior to this open DD had been varying between $100 to $200 in loss.

We have over the last few days closed out some losing baskets while still closing in higher profits overall, but that won't be the case now. So we wait to see what the market does and maybe look at tightening up some of the sl/exit settings. Then again, the euraud and eurnzd looked bad for a couple of days but recovered.

The Ugly, the Bad and the Good

Ugly - an avalanche of red

Bad - up $400 in 5 days; down $700 in two days

Good - trading on demo and now have more insights on what I need to change.

Still, some of the strategies have done well in the longer term, so I will keep this test running for a while longer to see if, and if so, how quickly it can recover.

But am also doing a complete revamp of the strategies looking for far less entries and much tighter exits. Three pairs done so far and so hope to start a new trial as well on Monday.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 04:38:14 AM »
A Variation

As per previous Post, I will keep the two FrequentTrader portfolios running for a while to see if and how they recover.

In the meantime I have started a new portfolio with Buy and Sell strategies for 12 pairs. Similar style but with much tighter entry and exit conditions. So less trading.

I will again use the EA Controller but this time in a different way. By controlling the EA on one and the same platform. So if an EA gets disabled because of poor performance, I will wait a few weeks, then BT and perhaps re-optimise before re-starting it. Currently running on demo and will share myfxbook link shortly.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2021, 02:03:04 AM »
A Steady Start

One week into the new portfolio, all looks good. Trades a lot less than the FrequentTrader because of the much tighter entry conditions. But with tight exit conditions as well, we should not be seeing the large losses either; as shown this week.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 07:51:53 AM »
Going to Plan so Far

The aim of the newest portfolio, see image, is to be able to trade with $5K starting capital at 20:1 leverage. And of course to make money!

Currently running on demo of $50K at 30:1 while testing and so far seems definitely doable on $5K account. Especially once I can have Pending Orders changed to Market orders when level is triggered. Working on that. The addition of a dynamic MA crossover exit has so far ensured that open DD stays below $100 and Basket Close SLs are $50 or less. Unlike the FrequentTrader portfolio where open DDs can be as high as $600 and basket close SLs of $200 or even higher.

At this stage on target to achieve a 5% pm return but very early days.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by fxopen78
[Today at 12:10:32 AM]

Re: Stock Trader Pro (via mql5.com) by ivanvp
[Yesterday at 12:46:04 PM]

Re: EVOnight EA by ivanvp
[Yesterday at 12:43:45 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Yesterday at 12:00:44 PM]

Re: DIY Frequent Trader by diyforexskills
[Yesterday at 08:35:58 AM]

Re: EUR/USD by fxopen78
[May 05, 2021, 11:34:31 PM]

Re: ORDequity PAMM-COPY : 50% MONTHLY Gain, only 8% DD : REVERSAL TRADING ALGORHYTM by bismillahwd
[May 05, 2021, 05:51:19 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[May 05, 2021, 11:16:32 AM]

Re: Will cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin ever gain mass adoption? by Humble Trader's Fx
[May 05, 2021, 11:13:07 AM]

Re: EVOnight EA by LitnerGo
[May 05, 2021, 09:34:24 AM]