collapse

Author Topic: Volatility Factor  (Read 170317 times)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: Volatility Factor
« Reply #1110 on: November 02, 2018, 12:55:23 AM »
The thing with the EA Controller is that you have to make sure that it does not switch on your live trading after some short profitable period, just when it is going into DD again. So it matters if you have an EA that has longer periods that are either red or green, or if you have an EA that has three red days, two green days, two red days, one green day, etc.

Yes, whipsawing is a recurring issue in trading, whether in terms of price or in terms of performance.

The extent of that whipsawing with the Controller depends in part on the MA (period and type) we use - as usual, the longer the period the less whipsawing but the larger the DDs. So it becomes a trade-off.

We now also have the profit factor version of the Controller where we can test with what number of trades to use in calculating PF and what levels. And if we have traders with a long term data set we will be able to "optimise" the settings we might use going forward. I also have another idea we might use which i will describe in the Controller thread.

Online FLechdrop

« Reply #1111 on: November 09, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Yes, I think the PF is worth trying! Though of course there is no way to have no lag in this. But at least we could escape longer periods of DD without having to babysit all of our EAs.

Offline dideco

« Reply #1112 on: November 12, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi donbon2

do you think market is now ready for scalpers like evonight, best/free scalper, etc , which you switched off in spring?

Online donbon2

« Reply #1113 on: November 13, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »
I cant switch them on yet - because the spreads and slippage are so bad with IC Markets -- I think it is going to take new liquidity providers to come in which we dont have yet.
Broker - IC Markets   VPS - Amazon EC2 + CNS  

EA:
Powerflow NZDCAD AUDUSD
PZ Hedging EA - PZ Averaging EA - PZ Grid

(on hold  Wall St Evo - VF2 - Best Scalper - Best Free Scalper)

News - Thomson Reuters Eikon
Trade Manager - Visual Trading Console for MT4
Trading Rebates - through CashBackFX
Trade Notification EA - TradeTalk from FX Blue - free
VPS - I recommend Amazon EC2 - if you qualify for a Broker Sponsored one get CNS
PZ Support/Resistance Indicator

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #1114 on: November 13, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Sometimes brokers have to be challenged to improve their performance.

I had a colleague who was trading with a broker who had quite bad swaps - including negative swaps for EURUSD for both Buys and Sells! I encouraged him to contact his broker about this. He assembled comparative data from 6 brokers and presented that to his broker. After a promise to look into it and three reminders, the broker finally pulled his finger out and obtained better pricing from his liquidity providers including positive swaps for EU sells.

Offline dideco

« Reply #1115 on: November 14, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
Hi donbon2,
Icm provides good spreads over the major (EUR usd zero, even!), but the hour after midnight. About slippage, I would not know where to check it, neither.

Offline laracroft

« Reply #1116 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
VF2 has reached new highs on the official account.
I am testing it on my real ICmarkets account with very small lots and the performances are equivalent and those of the official account.
Probably the best way to handle VF2 is to gradually increase the size of the lot during the periods of DD up to a maximum risk equal to half or a quarter of the risk set on the official account (the maximum of 30% DD is not bearable on a big account, also because in the future this EA could also get to a DD of 45%)

Offline Anchorpoint

• Position sizing is the key
« Reply #1117 on: November 20, 2018, 01:28:06 PM »
Best way to run VF2 is on low risk so you can let it do its job without interference and not babysit.
On 0.5% risk full SL is around 1.8% which is manageable. Reference accounts are run on very high risk

Anything can happen - every moment in the market is unique

Online Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1118 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
Best way to run VF2 is on low risk so you can let it do its job without interference and not babysit.
On 0.5% risk full SL is around 1.8% which is manageable. Reference accounts are run on very high risk

Agreed. That is how I have been running it since the large DD. Again, we learn, "slow (low return), growth and steady ( low DD), and good sleep at night!   :)

Regards,
HumbleTrader
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:41:27 PM by Humble Trader's Fx »
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Online donbon2

« Reply #1119 on: November 20, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
yeah I know this has had a nice recovery - the issue is it can lose 45% in a few days.

this is not what I would say is good trade management -- it is best like others said to run at low risk and not more than that -- otherwise you wake up to some nasty shocks.

EA:
Powerflow NZDCAD AUDUSD

VPS - I recommend Amazon EC2 - if you qualify for a Broker Sponsored one get CNS

Offline mikepipmaker

• Pursuit of Pippyness
  • Love to be cheerleader :-)
« Reply #1120 on: November 21, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
Probably the best way to handle VF2 is to gradually increase the size of the lot during the periods of DD up to a maximum risk equal to half or a quarter of the risk set on the official account (the maximum of 30% DD is not bearable on a big account, also because in the future this EA could also get to a DD of 45%)

yeah very true... Increasing account size gradually during dd phases has worked well for me with the phibase eas,,, mainly becoz we know what level of dd to expect as normal dds and deep dds....  i found that it is much easier to trade when funds are increased gradually rather than jump in all guns blazing and getting burnt or nervous during dd...

one thing i understood in trading eas is we will profit only if we setup our risk and factor in our emotions into the ea management. they are all going win at some times and lose at other times... so worthwhile understanding the characteristics and not expect a holy grail  :D
No method or EA can be successfull if we keep changing the rules and be impatient.

Online littlemax

« Reply #1121 on: November 23, 2018, 02:08:58 AM »
My VF version 2.1 stopped trading completely a few days ago & hasn't traded since even though the vendors account at ICM has had multiple trades since.  I was using the previous version & only just updated it to V2.2 but I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to do that? I wondered if the old version has expired perhaps?

Online donbon2

« Reply #1122 on: November 30, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »
yeah Mike I think there are some great suggestions in the thread

a. run low risk with recovery
b. add funds on a DD
c. take a longer term view as you have to with more scalper style eas

I would use the news filter and not trade fridays so you dont have positions over the weekend but that is just me - especially with brexit coming up

I really have disabled it till next year when all that is out of the way .. dont want to make 7 pips and risk 600 point losses.

EA:
Powerflow NZDCAD AUDUSD

Offline laracroft

« Reply #1123 on: December 02, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »
Also I forgot to upgrade to version 2.2 and I used version 2.1 which has had a lower performance in recent weeks.
wallstreet.forex.robot can you publish the set you use on the official account on ICMarkets?

Offline Anchorpoint

• Position sizing is the key
« Reply #1124 on: December 02, 2018, 10:18:22 PM »
Also I forgot to upgrade to version 2.2 and I used version 2.1 which has had a lower performance in recent weeks.
wallstreet.forex.robot can you publish the set you use on the official account on ICMarkets?

If you are not using news filter there is no difference between V2.1 and V2.2
Anything can happen - every moment in the market is unique

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: LEGEND by reinerh
[Today at 10:01:00 PM]

Re: LEGEND by oportunis
[Today at 09:16:57 PM]

Re: LEGEND by reinerh
[Today at 08:25:53 PM]

Re: LEGEND by oportunis
[Today at 07:57:54 PM]