collapse

Author Topic: FX Autotrader Elite  (Read 61064 times)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: FX Autotrader Elite
« Reply #330 on: October 15, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »
Holidays are over

As I prepare to head back to the land down under over the weekend, (enough of all this religious art in Rome!), I am quite happy with my little holiday escapade into manual trading on the Daily.

The results are below. The exercise has also given me some ideas for making automated strategies with the Autotrader and that will occupy my time when I get back home.

But I am also inclined to continue with this new Daily system which only requires one or two short sessions a day on the computer trawling through some 30 currency pairs and 6 Indices with the same technical setup.

http://www.fxautotraderelite.com/

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2016, 05:27:43 AM »
On stopping the bleeding

Both 1912 and its sister, 1911, SET files trading the GU have been performing well (200+% in 5 months on demo).  http://www.forexverified.com/reports/fxautotraderelite/index.html

Except that lately it has been giving back a lot of the occasional large gains.

The same has happened on my real account with 1911 which sadly was closed while the two large gains were made - Brexit and the fat finger spike a few weeks ago.

Having explored several options to counter this, it would seem that adding a Basket trailing stop feature could be helpful - it is starting to take effect as per green arrow on image. It will reduce the chance a little of benefiting from a major spike, so is a compromise solution for while the GU market is dithering.

So if you are running either or both of these SET files, you may want to make the changes as shown below to Label 2 - Basket Management. All other settings can remain as they are.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2016, 03:24:17 AM »
Trading journal for manual trading

We all know the importance of keeping a trading journal to help us learn from experience. But how...

We can use pen and paper, an Excel spreadsheet, or buy some fancy software. There is another way - both easy and informative.

My method is shown in the image below. In other words, we do it directly on the chart when we enter the trade and when we exit it.

I use a red vertical line and a red horizontal line to mark the Entry for a Sell, and green for a Buy, and a white vertical and a dashed white horizontal line to mark the Exit. I then use the Insert/Shapes/Rectangle to highlight the trading period.

So now I have my trading journal right on the chart I am trading and I can examine the trade in the context of the technical indicators I am using. And I can scroll back to see all the previous trades as well.

(And if the horizontal lines become too annoying as we go forward, I can colour them in the same colour as my chart background. Then when I want to analyse my trading journal, I just change the chart's background colour so that the lines become visible again.)

PS The Daily System is still going strong after 3 months - running at just over 6% pm trading microlots on a $1K account. And the FXAE Real account is treading water now that we have stopped the bleeding; just waiting for the next big sudden move.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »
From Manual to Auto

After close to 4 months of manual trading with my Daily system, I saw an opportunity to automate the strategy. By using the longer term signals on H4 and H1 and taking short term trades on the M15 using MA crossover and RSI slope.

With the FX Autotrader Elite of course.

The key features of the Autotrader that are employed in this strategy are:

1. Multi timeframe conditions for MA crossovers.
2. Setting the slope of RSI rather than just a single value of RSI as trigger between defined levels.
3. Using dynamic ATR-based TP and SL and TS so that the volatility of the markets determine the size of the SL, TP and TS. This also should make the strategy applicable to many currency pairs, each with their own typical ATR dynamics.
4. The ability to have re-entry trades. So if the long term trend remains in place, we will be taking several trades on the M15 while the longer term trend is in place.

So far, and without any attempts at optimisation, we have achieved 80% wins on 10 trades on the EURUSD, during the last couple of days which includes the election hiatus.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Daily System
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:29 AM »
A bit of work to do

In my Daily system I got badly hit by the sudden reversals following Trump's conciliatory acceptance speech.

A couple of SLs got hit before I moved the others out of harm's way for the time being - so sitting on a 50% paper DD at the moment. Which means that there is work to do.

So either some marty trades for pairs/indices that I expect to move back towards where they were; and largish trades in opposite direction to initial losing trades to see if I can close out even or for a small net loss.

Always a dicey procedure, but I have done it before with the FTSE. And the beauty of trading microlots is that even though profits accumulate only slowly, at least the DD does not seem that bad.   :-\

(In any case I am developing this System on demo, but at some stage I do plan to go live. Or maybe I will just pretend: continue to execute the trades on demo, in a carefree and profitable way as I have up to now, and have them copied to a live account which I won't look at so that I don't get nervous. Except at Christmas to see if I have been a "good" trader)   :)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #335 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:20 AM »
EA Controller - available soon

Market dynamics change over time and when that change persists, our EAs, tuned for different market dynamics, can go into long term drawdowns.

With the FX Autotrader Elite we will now be able to avoid the bulk of these types of DDs by using the new EA Controller.

In essence, this will involve running the same FX Autotrader Elite EA SET file on two accounts, a Demo and a Live.

The EA Controller sits on the demo and measures the Closed Profit for that EA relative to its MA (user defined period) of closed profit.

When Closed Profit is above its MA, the Controller signals to the EA on the Live account that it is safe to trade.

When Closed Profit falls below its MA, the Controller stops the EA on the Live account from trading. And so until the DD on demo begins to reverse (Closed Profit back above its MA), no (losing) trades will be taken on the Live account.

Am currently testing the system using a test SET file to generate many trades and the results are shown in the image.

Key things to note are:

1. The trend of the MA of Closed Profit (blue line) on Demo is down; but nevertheless the MA of Closed Profit on Live has begun to move up since the EA Controller kicked in.

2. The loss on Demo is around -$102; the loss on Live is only at -$39 at this stage (see the while boxes on charts). ie the losses from this currently losing test EA on demo have been reduced considerably on the live account.

The Controller has an option to start trading immediately, irrespective of there being sufficient trades to calculate a MA (which is what I did in this test); or waiting for the first 5 or 10 trades to be completed and MA 5 or 10 calculated to see if it is safe to trade. (Remember - period of MA is user-defined).

A second option enables the use of the Controller to control a publicly available trade copier (enhanced beta version), thus enabling a similar outcome to be achieved with any EA.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 04:47:06 AM by diyforexskills »

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: Daily System
« Reply #336 on: November 20, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »
Recovery in part

I am still with a 50% or so paper DD, but I did manage to recover almost all of last week's losses. As seen on the chart below which is a nice graphic display available on the FX Blue Publisher report.

I normally trade on auto and so I do ask myself why I am continuing with this Daily System experiment. Reasons:

1. I am still enjoying it. It is based on the Daily and H4 charts and so only requires one or at most three sessions at the computer a day.
2. Trading with microlots makes "mistakes" tolerable, and yet still yields a decent return - currently around 5% pm (assuming I can get rid of the DD over time)
3. Trading 40 currency pairs and indices is a great way to get to know how these pairs/indices behave. And there is always at least one or two trade opportunities a day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:42:56 AM by diyforexskills »

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »
Will it turn?

One of my badly losing trades is on GBPCHF and I want to see whether I can close these two trades for no net loss.

As shown in the image below, I think there is hope.

We have bearish divergence on both RSI and MACD.

And an indicator I have not used much, ADX, shows that the strength of the trend is definitely waning.

Let's see if the theory holds next week.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2016, 04:35:11 AM »
Only a small turn

Things did not go as expected/hoped as described in last week's Post. We only had a tiny downtrend before we got back into the uptrend on the GBPCHF.

I did manage a small profitable Buy trade before my TS closed the trade prematurely. And now my Sell trades are well and truly in the red and getting redder.  >:(

So once gain, fundamentals trumped the technical analysis. As can often happen. Trouble is we often don't know what fundamental news lies ahead. Like this time when the GBP strengthening appears in part due to a speech by PM May about a softer Brexit outcome.

All that aside this little test has alerted me to the usefulness of the ADX indicator along with the others I use. Just take a look at the nice signals it can give (eg see white box on chart below). For a good description of how to use ADX check out this article http://www.tradeciety.com/tips-to-use-the-adx-indicator/

Offline sydap2003

Re: FX Autotrader Elite with the EA Controller
« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2017, 07:51:07 AM »
In my Post of 14 November I described the concept of using an EA Controller to ensure that an EA would only trade when market conditions were favourable for that particular strategy/EA.

The EA Controller is now up and running and being used by owners of the FX Autotrader Elite.

I have been trading five EURUSD SET files provided as a Christmas bonus in 2016, using the EA Controller setup since 12 December 2016.

As a reminder this system involves trading the same EAs on two accounts simultaneously (Controller account and Live account), using the performance of the EA on the Controller account to control when the same EA on the Live account can trade. The idea being that we only want the EAs on our live account to trade when market conditions are favourable.

Liquidity has been thin over this period leading to some jumpy moves. Live EAs were enabled to trade for the first 5 trades irrespective of market conditions.

We can now make the following observations for these six weeks of trading.

1. The Live account is marginally in profit (55 pips); the Controller account is marginally in loss (-78 pips).

2. SET file 481630 has been in a long drawdown on the Controller account (down 250 pips, 28 trades) while on the Live account the SET file has not been enabled to trade and is hence in break even mode (8 pips in profit, 17 trades).

3. Performance of SET file 48164 has been choppy and performance is slightly better on Controller (35 pips profit, 23 trades) compared to Live account (32 pips loss, 11 trades).

3. Surprisingly SET file 481650 has had more trades on the Live account then on the Controller account. This just goes to show that broker platforms are not perfect - trades can be missed for all sorts of reasons.

4. Performance of SET file 481614 has also been choppy but performance on the Live account is slightly better (-55 pips, 18 trades) than on the Controller account (-132 pips, 35 trades).

5. SET file 481612 has performed equally well on both accounts (340 pips, 6 trades).

For me the big take away at this early stage is that the Controller is very effective at keeping us out of long drawdowns - and that is so important to me because that is where we tend to lose and/or give back all the profits we have made with EAs.

Market conditions are dynamic. EAs by their very nature are not. Thus we need to control when our EAs are allowed to trade. And/or re-optimise to new market conditions from time to time.

I have attached two files of screenshots covering four of the EAs. Please note that the Controller platform trades minilots and the Live account, microlots. Hence I have used pips rather than $ for the above summary of results.

The EA Controller can also be used with any other EA, by making use of the FX Blue Personal Trade Copier in place of the special code inserted in the FX Autotrader Elite EAs.

Offline sydap2003

« Reply #340 on: January 25, 2017, 07:54:39 AM »
... and the second image. Pls refer previous Post

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2017, 01:55:33 AM »
A separate thread has been created for the EA Controller - https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=19585.0

So now we can get back to dealing with the Autotrader. http://www.fxautotraderelite.com/

In 2016 I created a SET file/EA with the Autotrader for AUDNZD on H1. But it finished the year having done virtually nothing, so I put it aside. But following a query from one of my subscribers I took another look at it in January, made a couple of minor modifications and have now been running it successfully, on demo at this stage. See image below.

I like this SET file as it illustrates simple entries with good money management features of the Autotrader:

1. Trade entry is very simple based on RSI 60 - between 55 and 65 for Buy and between 55 and 50 for Sell.
2. It has two scale-in entries at -10 and -15; not because I like MG (hate those strategies), but because in my trading I almost always find that as soon as I have placed a trade, price reverses, at least for a while. So these entries are meant to make the most of that price behaviour.
3. TP and SL for individual trades are dynamic, based on multiples ATR120
4. And we also employ basket management dynamically with ATR for TP, SL, TS and BE.

So let's see how this strategy goes in 2017. It's off to a good start.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
Can we make an EA strategy of this?

Last year I published quite a few Facebook Posts about what I call a Spaghetti strategy - went well for a while trading it manually as best I could seeing that I also needed to sleep and hence not awake for the close of every H4 bar; then I had some issues. And so took a fresh look.

Part of my earlier problems was that I was getting in and out of trades too quickly when running on the H4 timeframe. Or not taking a SL at all!

So having looked at charts with this strategy a bit more it would seem that we could have a good one if we automated it.

We enter when the spaghetti has coalesced and there is a big thrusting reversal candle; and we don't get out until the trade closes above/below the band of spaghetti.

This is shown on the image below for the GU on H4 from Feb to March. The white vertical lines are the entry/exit points. The month before was more difficult, a bit of whipsawing, but with gains that can be made from time to time as shown, we should still be profitable.

It is also a very easy strategy to automate with the FX Autotrader Elite. I have done that now and will report on it in my next Post.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
Automating the Spaghetti strategy

Following up from last Reply, I did some optimisation of the manually derived spaghetti strategyon the AUDJPY pair which tends to be a bit more trendy than the GBPUSD.

Has worked out quite well, managing to capture some longer term trends (one over 300 pips) as shown in the results below.

So this is another one we can add to the increasing portfolio of FX Autotrader Elite SET files.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #344 on: May 19, 2017, 05:09:32 AM »
Automating the Spaghetti strategy

Following up from last Reply, I did some optimisation of the manually derived spaghetti strategyon the AUDJPY pair which tends to be a bit more trendy than the GBPUSD.

Has worked out quite well, managing to capture some longer term trends (one over 300 pips) as shown in the results below.

So this is another one we can add to the increasing portfolio of FX Autotrader Elite SET files.

AUDJPY H4 revisited

The previous back test results were based on optimisation over 2016. I traded this on live and after 4 trades had broken even.

When I back tested the strategy over 5+ years from January 2012 however, the results were very poor.

So I decided to use the scale-in feature of the Autotrader (http://www.fxautotraderelite.com/) and after considerable testing came up with a revised and much improved strategy.

Which I am now running live with one small win so far. Five year back test result is shown below. A bit jumpy, and you do need to have patience and stay in for the long haul. But then rewards can be good - $25K profit after 5 years starting with a $10K account.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: Best Scalper by alaali
[Today at 05:03:20 AM]

Re: ECB ending deposit protection? by CanadianPsycho
[Today at 01:41:52 AM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by CanadianPsycho
[Today at 01:39:01 AM]

Re: ECB ending deposit protection? by oportunis
[Today at 12:02:21 AM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by Humble Trader's Fx
[Yesterday at 11:40:08 PM]