collapse

Author Topic: Floating spread vs Fixed spread ?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Paul.Trafford

Floating spread vs Fixed spread ?
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Hi all,
I am curious which one are you preferring a Floating spread or a Fixed spread and why ? (If there is already a subject on this topic, then please remove mine as I wish not to spam the forum).

Offline resistance

Re: Floating spread vs Fixed spread ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »
I am still using fixed spread than floating spread, because will more easy to manage the risk itself, but if floating spread which sometime on news time suddenly move on larger spread it making shocks and less useful for trading

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
I am a news trader, and still I am using floating spreads. Yes sometimes, market is a bitch and spread is a little bit high, but most of the time spread is pretty stable even during NFP or other major news release. But it is interesting for me how other people are using their spreads in their strategies.

Offline hybrid

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »
Normally traders do trading with hey need not to calculate every time according to their plan how spread will deal. floating spread is liked by professionals , they can adjust their trading as market is going they can use floating spread easily.

Offline tugatrader

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
I am a news trader, and still I am using floating spreads. Yes sometimes, market is a bitch and spread is a little bit high, but most of the time spread is pretty stable even during NFP or other major news release. But it is interesting for me how other people are using their spreads in their strategies.

Isn't it better to trade news using fixed spread because of the higher volatility of some events?

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »

Isn't it better to trade news using fixed spread because of the higher volatility of some events?

Well yes it is, but usually after a huge news, the market has a restoring process where the price is restoring to the normal value before the news (I called it backwards movement) which most of the time is equal to the movement created by the news release, it is just in the opposite direction. The important thing is that at this point ( the restoring process) the spread is normal, thus I allow myself to speculate a little bit with my volume and compensate for the wide spread at the beginning. I hope this make sense for you. Cheers mate!

Offline drunkfx

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Are you talking about a pullback? I'm using same strategy but the problem is its difficult to gauge the news impact sometimes it may form new trend so waiting for a pullback may be pointless, since the data changed the game..

Offline iMusingKiMi

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:24:07 AM »
Hi all,
I am curious which one are you preferring a Floating spread or a Fixed spread and why ? (If there is already a subject on this topic, then please remove mine as I wish not to spam the forum).

I believe I trade fixed spreads back to at least 8 years ago. No real markets will give you fixed spreads anymore, that's what I can tell you, and you can start to guess what I mean.

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
Are you talking about a pullback? I'm using same strategy but the problem is its difficult to gauge the news impact sometimes it may form new trend so waiting for a pullback may be pointless, since the data changed the game..

Yes the pullback. And yes sometimes the market is forming a new trend, but the case is often rare. Why ? Creating a new trend from e sharp movement on the market caused by a huge news release is a very rare condition, it is happening sometimes, this is why I am not a millionaire yet. Cheers

Offline MadBob

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
Another complication is which trend you are looking at. Many times there is an up trend on the 5 minute and down trend on 1 hour, up trend on daily and a down trend on monthly. That is why Forex is difficult

Offline Corey Anderson

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
I seem, fixed trading spread is comfortable to use! My favorite trading style is scalping, so every single pip is very important calculation for me; but unfortunately I have seen, maximum Forex brokers increase their trading spread during high volatility of market! So, I was in a problem in my early stage of trading because of floating trading spread issue!

Offline Adam Milne

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 03:02:50 AM »
I favor fixed spreads because I dont know any advantage of floating spreads. Well I think floating spreads may cause trader to make bad entry, especially buy entry.

Offline b_strohkirch

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »
do you think that variable spreads are the worst for newbies ? I've heard that when a broker offers fixed  spreads , that means that the commission is hidden into the spread, and so I was looking for broker with core spreads. Do you think I 've made a mistake with my choice?

Offline hybrid

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »
I personally line fix spread . I had no tension what broker s offering to day in floating spread. I can plan before trading because I know the spread the broker is offering on a particular currency pair.

Offline Mitchell Marsh

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
From my first day of trading I have been using fixed spreads , actually its really supportive to make a great trading plan which is not possible by volatile trading spreads . 

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: Harmonics Trader EA by reinerh
[Today at 12:04:39 AM]

Re: Harmonics Trader EA by Walter_HT
[Yesterday at 11:00:08 PM]

Re: Harmonics Trader EA by deathlord
[Yesterday at 10:50:23 PM]

Re: Best Scalper by donbon2
[Yesterday at 10:12:16 PM]

Re: FourLeafClover EA from FourLeafClover FX by Ruairi OPleurisy
[Yesterday at 08:41:20 PM]