collapse

Author Topic: How did YOU start?  (Read 19342 times)

Offline rickyc2511

How did YOU start?
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
Well, here I am, only 1 hour home from my regular job...I have had a quick shower and a roast dinner, while chatting to my partner who is across town.
And what was the first thing I did when I got in?? Turn on my monitor and go straight to Metatrader.

Only 1 year ago, had someone said to me I would become fascinated and passionate about Forex Currency trading on my computer I would have said "get a life,that's for geeks and tech-heads! Not me!" -Well...doesn't life just throw you a curveball every now and then!

So this thread is really asking the question; "how did you get into forex and where do you want to go with it-how far-hobbyist? Fulltime income? Squillionaire with a matching Donald Trump haircut?
Whats your story? I'm very interested to hear yours, Donna, in particular.

Me-well I have always been looking for extra income, either passive or internet or computer related, seeing as I have always loved computers and am naturally at home with them.
I have always wanted to be one of the "earn or work from home" on the internet brigade.
And unfortunately a couple of  times I have naively been scammed by one or two "make your fortune online" programmes that weren't worth the time it took to part with my money.

I have always worked my whole life, and being in my mid 40's now, I really wanted to supplement or even replace my routine day job. To get up when I feel like it, and actually have a way to earn using my intellect combined with a genuine, legitimate tool or programme I could use without large capital outlay that could provide real and tangible rewards.

Perhaps 12 months ago I had a mate who always used to annoy me by hauling out his laptop and spending an hour on it while we drank beer on his patio. He annoyed me because he used to proclaim, "I just made $xxxx "..."lets have another beer!"
So I started taking an interest in his CFC trading and it was him that said I should have a "play" in the forex market.
I wasn't that interested until he showed me metatrader and explained how it all worked. When he showed me real dollars in his acct balance after literally a few minutes work, I thought, "this could be the thing I'm looking for".
At first I doubted that I would actually be genuinely interested in this sort of thing...but gee,once I learned what a chart was and then started trying to unravel all the stuff on metatrader, and actually learn what was happening- I was utterly hooked and totally fascinated.
I thought why couldn't I do this? What do I need to know and to learn to really make a dollar or two, or three? And wasn't that the understatement of the year!
And so it began...and then I learned about the big sometimes bad,sometimes good world of ea's and automated ea's and robots.
And so the circle began to turn...

I lost money hand and fist as I learned, and then as I began to understand why I was losing money, I began to trade more confidently and actually started controlling those losses.And I have re-gained a fair bit of that lost capital from my early days.
And I learned and am still learning all about the more technical things and not so technical things to look for with my trading.I have also learned that trading profitably can be very very simple too...you don't need to have a complicated, all the bells and whistles, indicators for africa system!
Simple trend trading on a daily chart is so easy and so stress-less and works just fine. it's now 80% of my trading-4hour charts, day charts and weekly too.

I have gone full circle to the point where I love and now do quite well trading manually with a couple of well chosen indicators as my tools.
I have kept only a couple of robots on my accts...I am now a bit 'roboted out' to be honest.
I firmly believe a lot of the robot sites are nothing more than 3rd party revenue generators for marketing companies.

But here I am, sitting at my pc,watching the aus/usd 4 chart ticking by...oh-is that another green bar following 3 red bars? Is that a strong entry? It's all going upwards right now? Everything looks ok-I'm in!
And thats the addictive,passionate situation I find myself in every day now.
And now that I can actually look at a chart and actually know I could make a dollar or two from it,rather than worrying about how much I was going to lose, is a very fulfilling feeling.

I have not made my fortune yet...not even close...definitely can't throw away my day job yet either..but I have a plan, and  my accts are growing, as I discipline myself and learn more and more about this crazy, fascinating and ever-changing world of Forex.

Thats my story...whats yours?

ricky
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 01:04:58 PM by rickyc2511 »

Offline Ralpharr2001

Re: How did YOU start?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
Interesting Ricky i have a similar introduction to Forex. Like you i have spent my life looking for my own business and spent a fortune finding one. I have an interest in cars and bought a garage which did ok but sold it out due to red tape. Investigated in great depth dealing in options but felt this was too risky. Then I tried selling ebooks on the internet, not so good. After a while you feel that you will never get there.

Two months ago searching the internet i came across Forex and forex robots. In my full time occupation i spend a lot of time analysing finances, time, business processes etc and this intrigued me especially after my research into option trading which i felt need automating by software macro's to indicate trades. The more i looked into forex the more i got interested,  then I bought FAPT, opened a demo account and made money, found the FAPT forum and two months on i'm live and making money! Not sure i would have gone live without the support and feedback from the forum, especially Donna. Thanks Donna.

What's more important i'm really enjoying myself and like you my computer is on the whole time and i just have a thirst for info on the market and forex. So much so that i'm just about to change my mobile phone so that i can get internet and emails whilst i'm out. Obsesive or what!! ;D

Yep, my plan is to go full time and live off my forex trading. I have a money strategy and hopefully, without too many curved balls, in three years will be able to give up my day job.

Cheers

Ralph

"work it, don't guess it" & "failure is not an option" Gene Krantz - Flight Director Apollo 13

IC Markets & FXPro with Powerflow EA and manual trading.

Offline Carolina2604

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:48:19 AM »
Quote from: rickyc2511 link=msg=7799 date=1246449017

Well, here I am, only 1 hour home from my regular job...I have had a quick shower and a roast dinner, while chatting to my partner who is across town.
And what was the first thing I did when I got in?? Turn on my monitor and go straight to Metatrader.

Only 1 year ago, had someone said to me I would become fascinated and passionate about Forex Currency trading on my computer I would have said "get a life,that's for geeks and tech-heads! Not me!" -Well...doesn't life just throw you a curveball every now and then!

So this thread is really asking the question; "how did you get into forex and where do you want to go with it-how far-hobbyist? Fulltime income? Squillionaire with a matching Donald Trump haircut?
Whats your story? I'm very interested to hear yours, Donna, in particular.

Me-well I have always been looking for extra income, either passive or internet or computer related, seeing as I have always loved computers and am naturally at home with them.
I have always wanted to be one of the "earn or work from home" on the internet brigade.
And unfortunately a couple of  times I have naively been scammed by one or two "make your fortune online" programmes that weren't worth the time it took to part with my money.

I have always worked my whole life, and being in my mid 40's now, I really wanted to supplement or even replace my routine day job. To get up when I feel like it, and actually have a way to earn using my intellect combined with a genuine, legitimate tool or programme I could use without large capital outlay that could provide real and tangible rewards.

Perhaps 12 months ago I had a mate who always used to annoy me by hauling out his laptop and spending an hour on it while we drank beer on his patio. He annoyed me because he used to proclaim, "I just made $xxxx "..."lets have another beer!"
So I started taking an interest in his CFC trading and it was him that said I should have a "play" in the forex market.
I wasn't that interested until he showed me metatrader and explained how it all worked. When he showed me real dollars in his acct balance after literally a few minutes work, I thought, "this could be the thing I'm looking for".
At first I doubted that I would actually be genuinely interested in this sort of thing...but gee,once I learned what a chart was and then started trying to unravel all the stuff on metatrader, and actually learn what was happening- I was utterly hooked and totally fascinated. ganar estatura gratis
I thought why couldn't I do this? What do I need to know and to learn to really make a dollar or two, or three? And wasn't that the understatement of the year!
And so it began...and then I learned about the big sometimes bad,sometimes good world of ea's and automated ea's and robots.
And so the circle began to turn...

I lost money hand and fist as I learned, and then as I began to understand why I was losing money, I began to trade more confidently and actually started controlling those losses.And I have re-gained a fair bit of that lost capital from my early days.
And I learned and am still learning all about the more technical things and not so technical things to look for with my trading.I have also learned that trading profitably can be very very simple too...you don't need to have a complicated, all the bells and whistles, indicators for africa system!
Simple trend trading on a daily chart is so easy and so stress-less and works just fine. it's now 80% of my trading-4hour charts, day charts and weekly too.

I have gone full circle to the point where I love and now do quite well trading manually with a couple of well chosen indicators as my tools.
I have kept only a couple of robots on my accts...I am now a bit 'roboted out' to be honest.
I firmly believe a lot of the robot sites are nothing more than 3rd party revenue generators for marketing companies.

But here I am, sitting at my pc,watching the aus/usd 4 chart ticking by...oh-is that another green bar following 3 red bars? Is that a strong entry? It's all going upwards right now? Everything looks ok-I'm in!
And thats the addictive,passionate situation I find myself in every day now.
And now that I can actually look at a chart and actually know I could make a dollar or two from it,rather than worrying about how much I was going to lose, is a very fulfilling feeling.

I have not made my fortune yet...not even close...definitely can't throw away my day job yet either..but I have a plan, and  my accts are growing, as I discipline myself and learn more and more about this crazy, fascinating and ever-changing world of Forex.

Thats my story...whats yours?

ricky

Thank you for share ;)

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:16:44 AM »
A friend of mine told me about Forex trading and how it was working. I liked the idea of making money from home, that it is pretty much

Offline Eliza Abrams

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »
A family member of mine became an ardent Forex trader, she spoke about it all the time until one day I got curious enough about it as well to see for myself.

Offline parkerbonline

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
Same as Paul, a friend introduced me to Forex trading and I've been hooked ever since.

Offline MatthiasHuber

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
Needed some extra dollar, researched a little and found Forex trading. Admittedly lost a little in the beginning but practice and patience payed off.

Offline Benjamin7

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
An old friend of mine introduced me to forex over 10 years ago, maybe even 15. He showed me the basics of technical analysis, but at that time I didn't understand what he was talking about and didn't take it all seriously, but time has passed and now I'm here...

Offline troy0619

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 03:58:49 AM »
Im juststarting....wow so many terms and the possibilty of making so much money compared to other invest ideas is so high. Im just practicing now with a demo account getting the ropes.

Offline Stephan09

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
A friend of my worked (and keep working) as coder. He had a freelance project to code some indicators for mt4. He showed me what can be done there.
That was my beginning. I became very curious with forex after that.
I believe that some indicators can be very helpful for trading.

Offline Ybendakin

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:17:41 AM »
I have started by doing a bit of affiliate marketing and it really worked out completely in my case, now I can really say it's all fine in my life entirely, so hopefully we really can make it profitable. I simply saved up initial money for all that stuff alltogether anyway.

Offline scottynorman

• Having a family - is the biggest blessing.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
Oh, it's a long story, but I'll try to make it short. I always loved math, I felt it, you know? So when a friend told me about Forex - I got excited and started learning and practicing trades on my demo account. I was failing a lot in the beginning, but later on, I learned, become more confident so here I am. My life is amazing now - I love Forex.
You want to play? Let's play!
P.S. Huge fan of U2

browse forum