collapse

Author Topic: DIY Frequent Trader  (Read 6492 times)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: DIY Frequent Trader
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2021, 04:57:28 AM »
Update

No real progress with the FrequentTrader portfolio - both the Controlled and UnControlled are treading water but expecting a big hit on the Controlled soon unless the UJ can recover.

Am much happier with the new Portfolio, which we could call the Infrequent trader.  :)   Far tighter entry conditions.

Now completed two weeks as shown in image. Translated to a $5K account at 30:1 leverage, performance equates to 8% pm with a peak DD of 2%. So if traded at 200:1 we could increase lot size 7x and return 56% pm and peak DD of 14%. That sort of return just does not gel as realistic on an ongoing basis, so we will wait and see.

Am also showing FXBlue link for those who want to look at the trades. (Can only have two widgets in Signature and I want to keep monitoring the two myfxbook links for FrequentTrader experiment for a while longer.)
https://www.fxblue.com/users/sydap2003demoapr21

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 02:41:45 AM »
Not a Bad Start

Have completed three weeks of the new Portfolio - a promising start as shown in image and here

Much more sedate than the FrequentTrader portfolios. So I will start copying these trades to a live account. I am doing the copying so that I can filter out the pending orders being placed on the live account and thus reduce margin requirement. Pending orders on the demo account will then only be placed as market orders on the live account if and when triggered.

In the meantime the FrequentTrader portfolios have stabilized and hopefully they will start their recovery process. What I want to see is whether the Controlled recovers more quickly than the UNControlled or vice versa.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 06:03:46 AM »
Time for Some Price Control?

The AUDUSD H4 Buy strategy has performed worst in the three weeks - one win and three losses.

When we look at the charts (see first image), we can see that this pair is caught in a 100 pip range - roughly 0.77 to 0.78. And we entered too late in each case before the reversal.

So if we felt that this range may hold for a while, and thus lead to further losses, we could do one of two things.

1. Disable the EA

2. Activate the Price Control feature on the EA. So if we set this feature to Trend and set upper and lower Prices to 0.78 and 0.77 (see second image), then the EA will only enter a trade when entry conditions are met AND Price is outside this range.

When I backtest this Price Control version from 1 Sep 20 to present and compare to original, overall profit is about the same but some 20 fewer trades and better PF. So not a panacea but Price Control is an option we have with the Autotrader if we want some manual intervention for uncertain times.

We could of course also re-optimise this strategy solely for this 0.77 to 0.78 range by changing the Price Control setting to Range (instead of Trend). So it will only take a trade if entry conditions are met AND Price is within the range. A BT shows that it would then have taken Buy trades on 26 April and completed a Basket TP of 100 pips.
So this is what I will do for next week's trading. Alternatively we could also run both modified versions. Hhhmmmm....

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:05:20 AM by diyforexskills »

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 03:16:08 AM »
Copying with FX Blue Workers

A normal Copier can only deal with one transaction at a time. So if you are running a portfolio and there happens to be multiple actions required, they can only be handled sequentially. But FX Blue has now overcome that limitation by introducing Worker EAs to operate in conjunction with the Copier EA.

The full changes for Version 10 are described as:

Versions for both MT4 and MT5. Send and receive between any combination of MT4 and MT5 accounts.
    Improved copying speed
    In MT4, run trading actions in parallel - copy multiple new signals at the same time - using an optional worker EA
    Improved automatic detection of different symbol names on different broker accounts, reducing the need for manual settings
    Override the copier's actions using your own MQL code

So I have set this up for copying my latest portfolio to my live account, as shown in image. All working smoothly. Just another free product from FX Blue.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:39:10 PM by diyforexskills »

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:58 AM »
Time for Some Price Control?

The AUDUSD H4 Buy strategy has performed worst in the three weeks - one win and three losses.

When we look at the charts (see first image), we can see that this pair is caught in a 100 pip range - roughly 0.77 to 0.78. And we entered too late in each case before the reversal.

So if we felt that this range may hold for a while, and thus lead to further losses, we could do one of two things.

1. Disable the EA

2. Activate the Price Control feature on the EA. So if we set this feature to Trend and set upper and lower Prices to 0.78 and 0.77 (see second image), then the EA will only enter a trade when entry conditions are met AND Price is outside this range.

When I backtest this Price Control version from 1 Sep 20 to present and compare to original, overall profit is about the same but some 20 fewer trades and better PF. So not a panacea but Price Control is an option we have with the Autotrader if we want some manual intervention for uncertain times.

We could of course also re-optimise this strategy solely for this 0.77 to 0.78 range by changing the Price Control setting to Range (instead of Trend). So it will only take a trade if entry conditions are met AND Price is within the range. A BT shows that it would then have taken Buy trades on 26 April and completed a Basket TP of 100 pips.
So this is what I will do for next week's trading. Alternatively we could also run both modified versions. Hhhmmmm....

Now Copying to Live Account

Noticed that EURAUD and EURNZD as well as AUDUSD are caught in a range and so have set up separate strategies for these three pairs for operation only within their ranges; and prevented the original strategies from trading within those ranges using the Price Control feature of the Autotrader. Each of these have been triggered and both EA and EN have closed positive baskets. So that approach is working.

So am now copying to live account as from start of this week.

The live account being used has some previous history from freq trader and the gold strategy from Signal Start I followed for a month as noted elsewhere in the Forum.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2021, 02:57:44 AM »
First Four Weeks

Very happy with how my new DIY PortfolioTrader is performing, as shown in image. Relative to a $5K account we are now at 7% pm with no dramas. The new range bounded additions for AU, EA and EN all did well this past week. AU (AUDUSD) has moved out of its range last night and so the original optimisation is now back in operation while the range bound optimisation is now dormant.

And the copying to the live account this past week was also successful so I have actually also made some real money! Not having the pending orders on the live account kept the margin safe at over 500% even at the 20:1 leverage.

Now we just need another 24 months of live history to satisfy the likes of rsmereka before we can offer this as a signal.  :)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »
Some Adjustments

Looking at performance and charts, I have now also added rangebound optimisation sets for GBPCHF, Buy and Sell.

And not happy with the AUDNZD performance so have re-optimised them using a Basket Close TP of 100 pips instead of the 50 and 30 that I had done previously; while also reducing the Basket Close SL from 300 to 200 pips.

Looking especially good for the Sell optimisation as shown in image. Captures the downtrends well.

Offline rsmereka

• Future Lab
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »
First Four Weeks

Very happy with how my new DIY PortfolioTrader is performing, as shown in image. Relative to a $5K account we are now at 7% pm with no dramas. The new range bounded additions for AU, EA and EN all did well this past week. AU (AUDUSD) has moved out of its range last night and so the original optimisation is now back in operation while the range bound optimisation is now dormant.

And the copying to the live account this past week was also successful so I have actually also made some real money! Not having the pending orders on the live account kept the margin safe at over 500% even at the 20:1 leverage.

Now we just need another 24 months of live history to satisfy the likes of rsmereka before we can offer this as a signal.  :)
Hey, I resemble that!

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 01:08:12 AM »
A Week to Watch

Bad start to the week, giving back ($90) in one day what was earned last week. So let's see if we get a correction over the next few days or if it will go ever upwards week over week.

The myfxbook EA on my live account is suffering from a Status 502 and is hence not publishing. Anyone know how to fix that?

So it's back to the far more reliable FX Blue, on the demo account, as per image. Demo and live account results are pretty well always within a dollar or two.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2021, 06:38:39 AM »
Clawing Back

Half of Monday's losses have been recovered so far so here's hoping the rest of the day yields further recovery so that we can finish the week close to neutral. Image below shows weekly ranges on the demo account from which trades are copied to the live account.

In the meantime, I am on another mission following my comments in the Signal thread about trade copying, lot sizing and money management.
(See https://donnaforex.com/index.php?topic=22628.msg401749#new )

The current DIY PortfolioTrader account was constructed so that it could be run and copied on a small ($5K) account with 20:1 leverage as offered by Tier 1 regulated brokers. So fixed and constant lot sizing and pip-based basket closes.

But if we enable variable lot sizing and do dollar-based closures we can do far better profit wise whilst still retaining the same risk profile. But of course we will need higher leverage and/or larger account sizing. So when I finish this new portfolio I will run it on a Tier 2 broker, probably BlackBull Markets at 200:1 on a $5K account.

Buy and Sell strategies for AUDUSD and AUDNZD completed and twice as profitable on BTs. So only another 11 pairs to go. What better way to spend a rainy weekend.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:32:07 AM by diyforexskills »

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 08:47:56 AM »
Promising start to the Week

Pips are blue so far this week after the very quiet start on Monday with all those Euro bank holidays; let's see how it holds up.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2021, 06:21:56 AM »
Exciting Week Ahead

The DIY PortfolioTrader has now completed two positive months (on the demo account, one on the live account), returning an average of 5% pm when run on a (mimum) $5K account at 20:1 leverage (Tier 1 regulated broker).

And I have now completed a second portfolio, DIY ProTrader, which will require at least 200:1 leverage (Tier 2 or 3 regulated broker) when trading on at least $5K. I will be using BlackBull Markets Prime ECN account of $5K at 500:1.

The strategies for this new portfolio are similar but use variable lot sizing for Initial and Re-entry trades and are at about 4x higher risk overall and should yield closer to 20 to 30% pm. The other distinguishing feature is that although they also use indicators on the H4 timeframe, the strategies are run on the H1 timeframe. So trade re-entries can occur hourly instead of only 4-hourly provided that the H4 conditions are still met.

I have slept well this past month with maximum open DDs capped at around $100 and losing basket closes capped at around $50; and overall profitable. Now let's see how well I will sleep with open DDs up to $500 and losing basket closes at around $200.   On a $5K account size.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:32:38 AM by diyforexskills »

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by fxopen78
[Yesterday at 11:37:22 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Yesterday at 12:21:02 PM]

Re: Some signals on SignalStart i am following by diyforexskills
[Yesterday at 06:51:24 AM]

Re: ORDequity PAMM-COPY : 50% MONTHLY Gain, only 8% DD : REVERSAL TRADING ALGORHYTM by bismillahwd
[Yesterday at 06:45:32 AM]

Re: Some signals on SignalStart i am following by jwatts7701
[Yesterday at 06:36:04 AM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by fxopen78
[Yesterday at 12:18:58 AM]

Re: ORDequity PAMM-COPY : 50% MONTHLY Gain, only 8% DD : REVERSAL TRADING ALGORHYTM by bismillahwd
[June 14, 2021, 03:13:09 PM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by Eliza Abrams
[June 14, 2021, 12:33:53 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[June 14, 2021, 12:26:05 PM]

Re: HotForex by drunkfx
[June 14, 2021, 07:04:20 AM]