collapse

Author Topic: How long to keep your strategy running before you decide is not working anymore  (Read 12514 times)

Offline drunkfx

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=344534 date=1438761843

If you try to understand trying to trade using supply and demand instead of predicting market direction, it will never expired or not workig. ;D

Yeah economic laws will be always in fashion. :D  There are market patterns which are typical for all instruments and based on the supply and demand principle. I base my trading on those principles.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: drunkfx link=msg=344608 date=1438872617

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=344534 date=1438761843

If you try to understand trying to trade using supply and demand instead of predicting market direction, it will never expired or not workig. ;D

Yeah economic laws will be always in fashion. :D  There are market patterns which are typical for all instruments and based on the supply and demand principle. I base my trading on those principles.

What is trading? Trading involve BUY and SELL. When there is BUY and SELL involve, you can't get away from SUPPLY and DEMAND. If someone use their strategy by predicting where the price goes, then it will expired fast because nobody can predict future movement. But SUPPLY and DEMAND do tell us where the buyer and seller are.

Offline equityfx

Quote from: hybrid link=msg=344360 date=1438502386

I try one strategy more than 3 months , then decide I should change it or it would not work no longer ..I can not afford loss mostly so I have to see some  other way of trading where I can cut down loss and increase profit possibility

That is very good ,  but many trader not patience for wait more than 3 months . i think we  use the strategy that have good testimonial for many traders in getting profit , so we will not tired to test for long , cause there are other traders that has tested that strategy

Offline resistance

Quote from: equityfx link=msg=344719 date=1439070230

I try one strategy more than 3 months , then decide I should change it or it would not work no longer ..I can not afford loss mostly so I have to see some  other way of trading where I can cut down loss and increase profit possibility

That is very good ,  but many trader not patience for wait more than 3 months . i think we  use the strategy that have good testimonial for many traders in getting profit , so we will not tired to test for long , cause there are other traders that has tested that strategy

It's good idea to use strategy which has been tested its effectiveness but still, you need to run it personally for about a month to know that the strategy is suitable with you because the effectiveness of strategy will be different when it's done with different traders too. You need to find out proper money management with your current condition of your own capital so the strategy can maximize profit and minimize loss when you used it.

Offline indicator

No one wants to have big loss, but you have to give a strategy enough time to check its performance. A quarter is enough, if you had followed a strategy with its hundred percent requirement for a quarter, then you can decide about keeping it or leaving it depending on its results.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: equityfx link=msg=344719 date=1439070230

I think I should agree that most of them doesn't wanted to wait for 3 months to chase for their getting rich quick plan.

Offline Rocky Ward

In Forex narration, scalping is very profitable trading method that brings profit in a little time. Actually most of the regulated trading platform is not willing to provide this facility. But I am very lucky that I am able to scalp in my trading platform MXTrade. This ECN trading platform until the end of time ensures best trading situation by supplying only one pip trading spread. So it is possible to me to make profit by scalping in this platform.   

Offline fxman

Most of good strategies are trend following strategies.  But it is not easy to make profit in manual trading by following only a strategy without understanding market context. It may take much time to read the market context correctly most of time. In ranging market trend following strategy will not work. Like that strategy may not work in certain market phase.
Again losing string or drawdown period can come. That not mean u need to change ur strategy. 

If anyone can understand his/her strategy well then it will be easier to decide- whether it is normal or need to modify or strategy working no more during losing string period.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: fxman link=msg=346604 date=1441986936

Most of good strategies are trend following strategies.  But it is not easy to make profit in manual trading by following only a strategy without understanding market context. It may take much time to read the market context correctly most of time. In ranging market trend following strategy will not work. Like that strategy may not work in certain market phase.
Again losing string or drawdown period can come. That not mean u need to change ur strategy. 

If anyone can understand his/her strategy well then it will be easier to decide- whether it is normal or need to modify or strategy working no more during losing string period.

Yeah, I think you get some point on manual trading but you forget the most important occurrence on manual trading, Emotional Trading. ;D 

Offline Rocky Ward

We the traders usually select our trading strategy in order to our trading experience. in my trading career, I have to depend scalping due to having small balance. and, for using this trading policy in a proper way , I have selected MxTrade trading broker which always ensures best trading surroundings for scalping by providing only one pip trading spread.

Offline drunkfx

I think its not hard to notice that you profit became consistently losing. 2-3 deposit blowouts are enough I think.. ;D

Offline joray

How long is a piece of string.....? You need to run your strategy in different market conditions.  Politics and natural events are a killer to any strategy no matter how good

Offline fxman

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=346648 date=1442198520

Yeah, I think you get some point on manual trading but you forget the most important occurrence on manual trading, Emotional Trading. ;D

If emotional trading is the problem then one can't blame the strategy he/she is following. Lose management is one of the most important thing in trading  and without being good in lose management by controlling emotion I don't think it is possible to go ahead in this business.   

Offline Rocky Ward

Basically, this is the market place; there is not a soul who be able to calculate the real Faction with undoubtedly. So, for keeping survive we have to depend on our trading strategy among, according to our trading experience. Actually, I am very much dependable on my price action strategy that is the foremost source for my earning profit. For, applying this trading policy, I have fixed MxTrade as my trading stand where I get for all time accurate candlesticks that help me to predict the accurate movement of this market. By using this proper candlestick, here, I can use my another trading policy to keep survive in this volatile stage.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: fxman link=msg=346735 date=1442325627

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=346648 date=1442198520

If emotional trading is the problem then one can't blame the strategy he/she is following. Lose management is one of the most important thing in trading  and without being good in lose management by controlling emotion I don't think it is possible to go ahead in this business.   

Absolutely agree. It is a self personality problem instead of strategy/system or whatsoever. But honestly, I believe emotion is the hardest part in trading and I took a lot of time to practice myself. Not sure about others.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: SFE Price Action EA by ccjhuang
[Today at 06:41:48 AM]

Re: Best Scalper by bestscalper
[Today at 01:14:19 AM]

Re: Swap Master - Market Neutral Arbitrage Trading by petersurrey
[Yesterday at 11:17:11 PM]

Re: economic news in MT5 by Caesar99
[Yesterday at 08:53:07 PM]

Re: economic news in MT5 by Hilapur
[Yesterday at 03:54:02 PM]