collapse

Author Topic: How long to keep your strategy running before you decide is not working anymore  (Read 11985 times)

Offline hybrid

It is up to your experience that you decide how long you should try any strategy . If you loose again and again with any strategy you can change it suddenly .There are not hard and fast rules. In forex you have freedom to work where you feel easy . I do not wait for a long time to change a strategy . I have to see my security and benefits.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: hybrid link=msg=347194 date=1443179267

It is up to your experience that you decide how long you should try any strategy . If you loose again and again with any strategy you can change it suddenly .There are not hard and fast rules. In forex you have freedom to work where you feel easy . I do not wait for a long time to change a strategy . I have to see my security and benefits.

Yes, I believe the most important is you feel comfortable with any of the strategies instead by using some hard rules.

Offline resistance

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=347297 date=1443417303

Yes, I believe the most important is you feel comfortable with any of the strategies instead by using some hard rules.

It's true. Trader must feel comfortable to use the strategy and also it must be profitable for him too because no one who wants to use strategy which is not profitable. Usually, traders should update the strategy and they didn't use without update until it doesn't work anymore. But if there is person who wants to use strategy without update it, so he is not good trader who doesn't want to learn anymore.

Offline iMusingKiMi

Quote from: resistance link=msg=347396 date=1443585525

It's true. Trader must feel comfortable to use the strategy and also it must be profitable for him too because no one who wants to use strategy which is not profitable. Usually, traders should update the strategy and they didn't use without update until it doesn't work anymore. But if there is person who wants to use strategy without update it, so he is not good trader who doesn't want to learn anymore.

Yeah, because I tried myself. I did share my experience before when I am still learning. It is much more difficult to learn somebody strategies rather than to create yourself one. I believe this is because trader will feel more comfortable and confidence with their own strategy.

Offline resistance

Quote from: iMusingKiMi link=msg=347403 date=1443594255

Quote from: resistance link=msg=347396 date=1443585525

Yeah, because I tried myself. I did share my experience before when I am still learning. It is much more difficult to learn somebody strategies rather than to create yourself one. I believe this is because trader will feel more comfortable and confidence with their own strategy.

Yes, it is harder to learn other trader strategy especially if there is no clear explanation how to use it in the right timing because same strategy will be different its effectiveness when it is used in different session. It's easier to learn our own strategy but it will take too much time if you made your own strategy all things from the beginning. So, it's better using other strategy with few adjustment as we need. That's the usage to trade with demo account first.

Offline indicator

It depends on how much your trading account can bear. If you like to lose 50% of your trading capital then you can keep trading with that strategy until you touch this percentage. You can set it to a higher percentage as well to save yourself from more drawdowns.

Offline drunkfx

Quote from: indicator link=msg=347609 date=1444018325

It depends on how much your trading account can bear. If you like to lose 50% of your trading capital then you can keep trading with that strategy until you touch this percentage. You can set it to a higher percentage as well to save yourself from more drawdowns.

Yeah, agree, 50% is enough to realize your strategy is not working anymore and you have to switch to something else. But there are strategies that won't go out of date with time, I'm talking about fundamental analysis, if you have good analytical skills you'll be always on top.

Offline Profitable Trading

When strategy makes a profit 1-2 month, it cannot be considered profitable. Strategy must show 6+ month profitability to trust and have confidence in it. Even beginner traders can make 30-40% first month, but then they give back all and more.

Offline equityfx

Quote from: Profitable Trading link=msg=349469 date=1447680471

When strategy makes a profit 1-2 month, it cannot be considered profitable. Strategy must show 6+ month profitability to trust and have confidence in it. Even beginner traders can make 30-40% first month, but then they give back all and more.
You need to test the strategy in two years, so they can know the performance. This is very important because the quality can be tested. Furthermore, you can implement in good trades.

Offline bruce_knee

It really depends on the strategy- some strategies are long-lived, others change as market conditions change so you can't really always predict in advance. For example if your strategy is linked to technical analysis and you use indicators, you need to bear in mind the past doesn't always match with what's going to happen and you need to keep an eye on current fundamentals

Offline Forex Verified

• Gold Vendor
Quote from: bruce_knee link=msg=349522 date=1447769086

It really depends on the strategy- some strategies are long-lived, others change as market conditions change so you can't really always predict in advance. For example if your strategy is linked to technical analysis and you use indicators, you need to bear in mind the past doesn't always match with what's going to happen and you need to keep an eye on current fundamentals

Well said. Big news could destroy technical analysis in a minute.
If it's not verified, don't buy it - www.forexverified.com

Offline Priceless

• You never know what . . .
Quote from: Forex Verified link=msg=349525 date=1447776632

And this is why the best thing is to avoid the trading during news.

Offline bruce_knee

Quote from: Forex Verified link=msg=349525 date=1447776632

Quote from: bruce_knee link=msg=349522 date=1447769086

Thanks, absolutely that's why I avoid opening a trade before important news releases

Offline indicator

It is obvious that you should stop using any strategy if you are constantly losing money from using it. There is no point in testing it for too long to even lose your entire trading account.

Offline equityfx

I does not like to keep my trading strategy running long time as I want to get the immediate result. Keep in mind that I am a scalper, I just get the immediate result and I am enjoying my trading being a scalper and earning reasonable amount.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EA Controller by diyforexskills
[Today at 08:15:47 AM]

Re: FX Autotrader Elite by diyforexskills
[Today at 07:37:40 AM]

EURAUD by SpinnakerFx
[Yesterday at 10:35:53 PM]

EURJPY by SpinnakerFx
[Yesterday at 10:06:37 PM]

USDJPY by SpinnakerFx
[Yesterday at 09:15:54 PM]