collapse

Author Topic: FX Autotrader Elite  (Read 168148 times)

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: FX Autotrader Elite
« Reply #525 on: March 31, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
LockDown Opportunity

So let me see if I can write a Post with an offer, in good faith, without getting accused of being an opportunistic scammer.

Becoming housebound, hopefully without illness or total loss of income, due to the corona virus, gives us time to do things we might otherwise not have time for. Like testing out ideas we have for trading strategies.

That can be a tiresome occupation if we have to do it manually and by forward testing - oh so slowwwwww.......

And that is where the Autotrader can come in. It is now a very versatile instrument and enables one to either BT or forward test a whole lot of trading strategies, very easily.

I put that to the test today. I opened the AUDUSD H4 chart and added two common EMAs, 10 and 20. As can be seen, that would work really well for March 2020. But how would a strategy like this work when the market ranges for a long time as it did in 2019. With the Autotrader we can quickly find out.

So after about two hours of optimising on open prices, using a few of the special features like re-entries with this very basic strategy, I have arrived at the tick data BT result as shown.

So yes, March 2020 is a ripper, but in the year prior we also made a healthy $6K or so. No marty, no grid, just two entry conditions, two exit conditions, ATR-based TPs and BEs and max 42 re-entries per initial trade. And just 0.02 lot per trade.

And so here is the offer.

You can have the Autotrader for the rest of the year for just $10, payable with PayPal and non-refundable and use at own risk etc on demo and live. I will help you with its use via email or Skype although most of the settings should be self-evident.  But, eg if you have an idea but don't know how to enter the settings then I will try to do that for you for you to test and use.

And I will include the set file I have just created to get you started.

Pls PM or email at info@diyforexskills.com if you are interested.
Information, rebates and products -
http://www.diyforexskills.com

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #526 on: April 04, 2020, 02:23:29 AM »
MACD Portfolio Update

It is tempting to start trading the MACD portfolio on live. 48% gain in 5 weeks in Test 1 running since 2 March.
https://www.myfxbook.com/members/FLechdrop/autotrader/4843809

But April is going to be thin trading with Easter and all the other public holidays, so will wait till May. And unless there is a turnaround for USDCAD and CADJPY, I won't include these for live trading. (See image for results excluding CJ and UC). But I will probably add Zephir CADJPY and GBPJPY, the top performers in the Zephir portfolio.

Even Test 5 did brilliantly this week. https://www.fxblue.com/users/macdtest5  It's up 20% in closed profit in just one week and another $270 in open profit. The original set files for AU, EU and EURAUD all did well. Removing SIs and Wed trades for EURAUD decreased performance. No closed trades yet for the re-optimised AU running on EURAUD.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #527 on: April 06, 2020, 06:06:12 AM »
A useful Button to have

When you or your EA trades a lot, like we have using the Autotrader for the MACD portfolio (sometimes over 100 open trades), and something happens and you want to take some action, this free Close Button from https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/16342#  is really helpful.

There are lots of CloseAll buttons but they close everything. This one has a very useful set of options as shown in the image; meaning you can be super selective in what you close.

Online Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
« Reply #528 on: April 06, 2020, 08:53:21 PM »
A useful Button to have

When you or your EA trades a lot, like we have using the Autotrader for the MACD portfolio (sometimes over 100 open trades), and something happens and you want to take some action, this free Close Button from https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/16342#  is really helpful.

There are lots of CloseAll buttons but they close everything. This one has a very useful set of options as shown in the image; meaning you can be super selective in what you close.

Hello, Pete.

I cannot believe the coincidence. I guess "great minds think alike". LOL  8)

I t was only yesterday, that I looked online for the very type of EA and found a free one at Forex Factory. I like this one better because of the colours. ( I should mention, I haven't used it yet because I have a tray of open live trades, so please demo test it first.)

Regards,
HumbleTrader

We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #529 on: April 07, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
LockDown Opportunity

So let me see if I can write a Post with an offer, in good faith, without getting accused of being an opportunistic scammer.

Becoming housebound, hopefully without illness or total loss of income, due to the corona virus, gives us time to do things we might otherwise not have time for. Like testing out ideas we have for trading strategies.

That can be a tiresome occupation if we have to do it manually and by forward testing - oh so slowwwwww.......

And that is where the Autotrader can come in. It is now a very versatile instrument and enables one to either BT or forward test a whole lot of trading strategies, very easily.

I put that to the test today. I opened the AUDUSD H4 chart and added two common EMAs, 10 and 20. As can be seen, that would work really well for March 2020. But how would a strategy like this work when the market ranges for a long time as it did in 2019. With the Autotrader we can quickly find out.

So after about two hours of optimising on open prices, using a few of the special features like re-entries with this very basic strategy, I have arrived at the tick data BT result as shown.

So yes, March 2020 is a ripper, but in the year prior we also made a healthy $6K or so. No marty, no grid, just two entry conditions, two exit conditions, ATR-based TPs and BEs and max 42 re-entries per initial trade. And just 0.02 lot per trade.

You can have the Autotrader for the rest of the year for just $10, payable with PayPal and non-refundable and use at own risk etc on demo and live. I will help you with its use via email or Skype although most of the settings should be self-evident.  But, eg if you have an idea but don't know how to enter the settings then I will try to do that for you for you to test and use.

Another Example

The strategy described above was one that uses the OR condition for trade entries and also uses multiple re-entries - so we get a lot of trading. Similar to what we get in the MACD Portfolio.

This next example is where we set very tight entry conditions by using the AND condition (meaning in this case 5 entry conditions based on MAs and price have to be met) and we restrict to just Initial entries - so we get far, far fewer trades but high PF.

In this example we also use %lot sizing varied by ATR (the higher the ATR the lower the lot size). Compare trade #23 (2.28 lot) with Trade #34 (0.11 lot). So when the market is relatively quiet, we accept higher risk, and of course hope for higher profit. When the market is volatile, we ratchet down risk, and of course generate less profit.

So these two examples give you two starting guides for generating your own - depending on your trading preference, or to help develop a mixed/balanced portfolio.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #530 on: April 08, 2020, 05:58:31 AM »
Ingredients for Strategy Development

If you are taking advantage of the $10 Autotrader trial, see previous Post, you might want to consider the following:

1. Backtesting. There are lots of guides about this. I have found the one from Darwinex sets it all out nicely; even though I never use this broker
https://blog.darwinex.com/dos-donts-metatrader-4-backtesting/

2. Historical tick data. If you are all set up for Birts or Tickstory ticks, then you have this covered. I still prefer to BT using tick data from the broker I am going to trade with, even if that data is not considered high quality. Because that is the type of data I will be trading with on live. And it is so much simpler. The Force Download utility makes downloading of your broker's tick data very easy. Just reduce the symbols in the Market Watch to those that you want to BT on and then run the software, free from https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/22919# And go and have a coffee while the utility does its job.

3. BT Analysis.  Strategy Tester gives you the basic analytics. For a far more comprehensive analysis of your BT report, particularly things like the Sharpe and Calmar risk/recovery ratios, go to https://www.earnforex.com/report-analysis/

4. Ideas and Inspiration.  Examining a chart is the simplest way to start as described in Reply #525 on March 31 in this thread. But you might also have some trading setup suggestions from crawling through the web. Two such examples are described in the Webinar series I did some time ago http://www.diyforexskills.com/webinar-series-developing-profitable-forex-strategies/

5. Versatile MAs. MAs are much maligned as lagging indicators, but then all indicators are lagging and virtually all indicators make use of MAs. I still find them the most useful and the Autotrader enables you to use up to 5 MA crossovers, three of which can be set to different timeframes. Also remember that a SMA of period 1 equals price; that by using the shift function you can compare price now vs price x bars ago, and with the Crossover pips function you can specify how much that price needs to differ by in order to trigger an entry. And then with the Reverse entry function you can turn the signal into a Buy stop entry or a Sell limit entry when the price difference value is triggered.

And when all else fails, start with one of the two sample set files included and see whether it can be adapted to a different pair and/or a different timeframe and so develop a diversified portfolio of set files/strategies.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #531 on: April 15, 2020, 04:11:34 AM »
LockDown Opportunity

This Offer is now closed.

But for those who took it up, the free set file that was included has just closed a very nice profit run after first being caught on the wrong side for a little while. So at this stage some $1300 in profit on a $5 K account after a little over  week. Scaled in nicely on the trend. No marty, no grid. And trading only 0.02 lot per trade.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:59:00 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #532 on: April 16, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »
Progress Report on MACD Tests

Test 1 is still running nicely as per Sig - at 30% pm at this early stage.

However we could see a few ways of improving things a bit and with those changes have now also been able to add set files for EJ, GU and even NU whose BT did trail off a bit in the OOS 2020 period.

Going forward I have also decided that I won't include EURAUD since its BT performance is the most erratic, though profitable long-term.

The images show the BT results for this new portfolio, and the individual set files, noting that performance in 2020 is Out of Sample; optimisation was for all of 2019.

Let's see how they go for the remainder of this month, before I plan to take them live on a $4K account. That account will have account protection set at -$1000 for if and when the market decides to play funny buggers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:30:16 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #533 on: April 28, 2020, 03:29:17 AM »
H4 Portfolio

Although the M15 Portfolio (see previous Post) looks good, it does have a decent risk should there be any massive slippage from weekend gap or other events. Because of strong correlation and potentially large open lot size, ie over 100 microlot trades.

So have been working on a more sedate portfolio with similar strategy on the H4 timeframe and far, far fewer trades. Am now happy with just three pairs, only very weakly correlated; EU, EJ and UJ. BT performance results on a $5K AUD account as shown - note that all of 2020 is OOS. Will start running this live later this week.

(Will keep the M15 Tests going on demo out of interest, but for live trading I think H4 is the way to go even though it means having only a few trades per week.; far less excitement!   ;D)

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #534 on: May 01, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »
On Being Realistic

The AUDUSD strategy running on Test 5 has had a spectacular run gaining 46% since 6 April. See first image. Then again we expected it to be good since our BT had shown it to perform well in an OOS period from 1 Jan to end March 2020. The strategy was developed/optimised using 2019 as the test period.

But for how long will this spectacular performance continue? At what DD should we stop trading it and reconfigure?

Well, if we BT it over another OOS period, eg 2018, we can see it would have lost $3K that year.   :(  As per second image.

So we know the DD will come. Market dynamics will change again. We just need to be ready and probably use an automated cutoff, at say 20% DD? Because if we leave it to a manual decision, the psychology is bound to get the better of us. Surely things will get better again.  Soon...   Oops, it's all gone!

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
Yes, good to keep things in perspective. It is quite hard to make these decisions going forward.

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #536 on: May 01, 2020, 09:08:37 AM »
Looking at the backtest results, I would say perhaps it should not be a % limit but more of a "time in DD" limit.

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #537 on: May 01, 2020, 02:04:37 PM »
Or % losing trades over x number of trades...

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #538 on: May 02, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »

Interesting idea. Based on BT, a quick look, we would need to go for about 500 trades in loss before we pull the plug.

I am also doing some work based on BT from 2015 to see if we can add some entry condition(s) to make it profitable over those early years without affecting the 2019 to 2020 performance. In theory, that should make this strategy less susceptible to market changes going forward, ie, more robust?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:49:35 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #539 on: May 02, 2020, 02:54:13 AM »

Interesting idea. Based on BT, a quick look, we would need to go for about 500 trades in loss before we pull the plug.

I am also doing some work based on BT from 2015 to see if we can add some entry condition(s) to make it profitable over those early years without affecting the 2019 to 2020 performance. In theory, that should make this strategy less susceptible to market changes going forward, ie, more robust?

Looking at it in a bit more detail, all DDs in 2019-20 period were over in around 200 trades. And if we look at the 2015-19 period, then when DD had lasted 400 or even 300 trades, the DD continues.

So maybe a cutoff at 300 trades in DD would make a reasonable signal to stop trading this strategy. That would give a loss of between $500 and $1000 which on a $5K account equates to no more than a 20% loss.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: FX Autotrader Elite by FLechdrop
[Today at 02:46:21 PM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by Eliza Abrams
[Today at 02:14:13 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Today at 02:03:52 PM]

Re: FX Autotrader Elite by diyforexskills
[Today at 01:53:53 PM]