collapse

Author Topic: FX Autotrader Elite  (Read 186778 times)

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: FX Autotrader Elite
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2020, 06:53:41 AM »
Set file for all seasons?

Following on from last Post, I did some more experimenting to see if I could find a strategy that would work over different market conditions - so fully automated.

If we look at the GBPUSD on the H1 from 27 July to now, we can see three distinct market behaviours.

1. A breakout period with a decent trend (orange box)
2. A fairly tight ranging period (grey box)
3. A broader ranging period with some sharp reversals (green box)

The tick data BT over that same period, with periods colour coded as per above, is shown on the bottom of the image.

For me, the big plus with this set file is that we make decent profits when market is active, periods 1 and 3; and we essentially break even when the market struggles in a fairly tight range (period 2).

So now we forward test.
Information, rebates and products -
http://www.diyforexskills.com

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #586 on: September 01, 2020, 06:12:49 AM »
Making Progress

The GU set file as per previous Post needed one more update and is now working OK; but still has to also deal with some losing legacy GU trades.

In the meantime I also created similar set files for GJ and UJ to run on my other live account. These are performing well and helping me pull out of DD. As per first image.

Now I just need to do the same for SteadyTrader live account (second image). This one is also running a CADCHF set file which booked its first $140 basket close overnight.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2020, 02:05:18 AM »
Ups and Downs

Consistency is hard to achieve - so set files for GU, GJ and UJ have now been canned; and account balances are almost back where they were. But the set file for CADCHF is so far $750 in profit.

Am trying a slightly different approach with some new set files by limiting re-entries to 10 (rather than 100 or 40) so that I can have several pairs running simultaneously while still keeping within the max 100 open trades limitations from my broker.

For EURAUD the only way I could get a longer term consistent profitability in BTs was to use the reverse scale-in feature of the Autotrader for times when the trend changes big time. (Reverse scale-in example - when a Sell is 250 pips in loss a Buy (reverse scale-in/hedge), of twice the Sell lot size, is triggered.)

In the image below, the green shaded areas show where this works, ie where the trend reversal is sustained so that we can close the basket in profit. The red shaded areas show the two times where the trend reversal was not sustained and hence the reverse scale-ins were closed at their 60 pip SL level.

So still not the perfect performance but sure looks a lot better than having Basket Close SLs. But open DDs can be quite high until the reverse scale-ins kick in.

Edit: The EURAUD set file is now running on DIY SteadyTrader so you can follow its fortunes on myfxbook. Currently downtrend is undergoing a pullback so we are in loss.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:50:37 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #588 on: September 17, 2020, 09:43:34 AM »
Another Variation

With AUDNZD I tried a slightly different approach to the one I have used for EURAUD as per last Post.

In this case I have restricted to 20 re-entries and with a small Basket Close TP of only $10, trading 0.01 lot for Initial and 0.03 lot for re-entries.

The BT from 1 April till end August looked good (first image) and thankfully the forward testing on live account has borne that out so far as shown in second image.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #589 on: September 24, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
Ups and Downs

Consistency is hard to achieve - so set files for GU, GJ and UJ have now been canned; and account balances are almost back where they were. But the set file for CADCHF is so far $750 in profit.

Am trying a slightly different approach with some new set files by limiting re-entries to 10 (rather than 100 or 40) so that I can have several pairs running simultaneously while still keeping within the max 100 open trades limitations from my broker.

For EURAUD the only way I could get a longer term consistent profitability in BTs was to use the reverse scale-in feature of the Autotrader for times when the trend changes big time. (Reverse scale-in example - when a Sell is 250 pips in loss a Buy (reverse scale-in/hedge), of twice the Sell lot size, is triggered.)

In the image below, the green shaded areas show where this works, ie where the trend reversal is sustained so that we can close the basket in profit. The red shaded areas show the two times where the trend reversal was not sustained and hence the reverse scale-ins were closed at their 60 pip SL level.

So still not the perfect performance but sure looks a lot better than having Basket Close SLs. But open DDs can be quite high until the reverse scale-ins kick in.

Edit: The EURAUD set file is now running on DIY SteadyTrader so you can follow its fortunes on myfxbook. Currently downtrend is undergoing a pullback so we are in loss.

Success!

The EURAUD did turn against me and so the reverse scale-ins part of the strategy came into play. Open DD did go as high as almost $500, a bit nerve-wracking, but the trend reversal was sustained. I made a few small manual interventions, which turned out not to have been needed and closed out a bit early ($20 profit instead of $50) since I was getting nervous with price near a S/R zone. Better some profit than a big loss.  All in all this sequence lasted just over a week.

And now let's hope for some more regular trading conditions.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #590 on: October 01, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »
Getting There

Currently have two strategies running on this Portfolio, on AUDNZD and EURAUD, since early September with a third on GBPAUD waiting for its first trade. So far so good but still a way to go to pull out of DD. Will keep working on it.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #591 on: October 08, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Getting There

Currently have two strategies running on this Portfolio, on AUDNZD and EURAUD, since early September with a third on GBPAUD waiting for its first trade. So far so good but still a way to go to pull out of DD. Will keep working on it.

Interesting

When we examine these two pairs, and some of the others, it becomes tempting to only trade longs for these two and some of the others as highlighted; and only shorts for CADCHF. Noticed the same for EURAUD set file still running as MACD Test 1.

Never noticed that in BTs but something to check out further.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #592 on: October 11, 2020, 08:31:48 AM »
Getting There

Interesting

When we examine these two pairs, and some of the others, it becomes tempting to only trade longs for these two and some of the others as highlighted; and only shorts for CADCHF. Noticed the same for EURAUD set file still running as MACD Test 1.

Should Improve Performance

I now have optimised settings separately for Buy Only and Sell Only strategies. For both EURAUD and AUDNZD.

Not the most thorough of optimisations and BTs since no OOS test was done; and only covers recent period.

But leaving those limitations aside, it would appear we can do much better going with these separate strategies. So will move across to these new ones as margin permits and as I can put the losing trades currently open to bed without losing too much (with recovery hedging orders); all on the SteadyTrader live account.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:55:03 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #593 on: October 15, 2020, 05:25:46 AM »
Getting There

Interesting

Should Improve Performance

I now have optimised settings separately for Buy Only and Sell Only strategies. For both EURAUD and AUDNZD.

Not the most thorough of optimisations and BTs since no OOS test was done; and only covers recent period.

But leaving those limitations aside, it would appear we can do much better going with these separate strategies. So will move across to these new ones as margin permits and as I can put the losing trades currently open to bed without losing too much (with recovery hedging orders); all on the SteadyTrader live account.

Still badly in DD from the legacy trades but at least these new strategies, separate Buy and Sell for euraud and audnzd are doing well so far.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:00:34 AM by diyforexskills »

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Today at 02:59:13 PM]

Re: smart forex expert signal by _Jonathan_
[Today at 11:14:59 AM]

Re: smart forex expert signal by Jimmy SFE
[Yesterday at 10:50:37 AM]

Re: smart forex expert signal by ivanvp