collapse

Author Topic: Account Growth  (Read 21461 times)

Offline studavis

Account Growth
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:17:33 AM »
What would you consider to be good account growth for your forex account?

‌‌5% per month ?

1‌0% per month?

‌What would you consider to be good account growth from a signal provider?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:35:10 AM by studavis »

Offline lonewolf

• Keep at it!
Re: Account Growth
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:50:21 AM »
What would you consider to be good account growth for your forex account?

‌‌5% per month ?

1‌0% per month?

‌What would you consider to be good account growth from a signal provider?

Hey Studavis, I would consider 2% to 10% as very good growth.

Online donnaforex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
2-10% i agree with too.

You also need to weigh up the downside potential - gaining 2% a month is no good if you also gain a 50% drawdown fairly regularly during that month.... however a 50% dd might be acceptable if i'm gaining 50%+ a month (though this is a bit wild and requires aggressive account management and withdrawing of profits!), so it's all relative. Also, 1% gain with 0.5% dd would also be great and stable longer term.

So my advice would be to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
Follow DonnaForex on Facebook and Twitter.

If you need to contact me, email admin@donnaforex.com or Skype 'donnaforex' or PM via the forum.

Offline reinerh

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
growth needs to be looked at a longer timeframe, like i would say yearly.

then averaged at the end.

i have seen several accounts 300 to 600% yearly being possible, but with high dd of course 40% at least.

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Also, 1% gain with 0.5% dd would also be great and stable longer term.

So my advice would be to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

I have never seen a strategy that gives 1% gain with only .5% DD over the long term. At least not one that is not a Margrid that after a wonderful 2 year history will blow the day I start it!

To aid in comparing and analyzing strategies I like to calculate the monthly profit at 10% DD.

1.5%/mo at 10% DD I will use and 4%/Mo at 10% DD I am extremely happy with. These must be with at least a 1 year history and preferably 2 years.

I totally agree with you Donna to step back and look at the big picture.

Cheers,
Rod
EA's (Run on separate accounts): Cyborg, Best Scalper MT4 V. 2.3

Signal: Hans Trend 2 Beta (On hold until new version)

Darwinex: Portfolio of 12 Darwins

Broker: AxiTrader, Darwinex
VPS's: Amazon EC2
Rebates: HFT Group

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Here is how I consider a good profit if my monthly increase is 5 15 % , then great I usually (depending on how much I made) try to withdrawal some part and leave around 5% to increase the base capital, this allows me to speculate more in the future. If my account is having 0 5 % increase , then I consider this a weak month and usually do not withdrawal.

Offline studavis

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
I was concerned that view of what is considered good growth had become somewhat warped by the fact that the potential for "big gains" are possible but I wanted to stop and consider what would sustainable growth be?

Whether it be EA or manual trading, too many times you see accounts start out great with good returns but the EA or trader is taking too much risk with no money management meaning that when things go bad the account blows easily 

I'm taking my manual trading back to basics and as part of the trading philosophy I really need to consider a realistic target that will help me keep focus on what I'm trying to achieve

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »
I was concerned that view of what is considered good growth had become somewhat warped by the fact that the potential for "big gains" are possible but I wanted to stop and consider what would sustainable growth be?

Whether it be EA or manual trading, too many times you see accounts start out great with good returns but the EA or trader is taking too much risk with no money management meaning that when things go bad the account blows easily 

I'm taking my manual trading back to basics and as part of the trading philosophy I really need to consider a realistic target that will help me keep focus on what I'm trying to achieve

My advice will be, focus on making a steady 0 5 % increase of your account on a monthly basis, get comfortable, do not withdrawal profits in the beginning , increase your account a little bit. To be honest this will be the hardest part of manual trading to find a consistent system of trading that is bringing you 5 % increase every month. But once you get there, you will be able to earn some serious profits and even if some months are not very profitable you will be comfortable with your trading.

Offline Haffizz

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »
Even 1% would be some kind of growth. Anyway, the final figured depend on your depo... Maybe for some traders 1-2% would be enough.
I assume that 5% is an average percentage for this

Offline Paul.Trafford

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:10:22 AM »
Even 1% would be some kind of growth. Anyway, the final figured depend on your depo... Maybe for some traders 1-2% would be enough.

I am sorry but I have to disagree 5% is not an average percentage of account growing, it Is actually very small, but it is a good target in order to get comfortable and knowledgeable in trading, but with time you have to increase that 5 % if you want trading to become your primary source of funds!

Offline Haffizz

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
I am sorry but I have to disagree 5% is not an average percentage of account growing, it Is actually very small, but it is a good target in order to get comfortable and knowledgeable in trading, but with time you have to increase that 5 % if you want trading to become your primary source of funds!
Maybe it will be too little for making a living, I agree, but as for the second source of income - not bad at all :)
As the majority of people here (as far as I understand) are part-time traders, it's an ideal option for them. Right?
And how much your personal income from Forex is? 10% or more? How many years did it took you to reach that level? If it's not a secret, surely

Online IFFTrader

• RobinVOL
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 03:28:04 AM »
My opinion is that the growth depends on the purpose of the fund. For some who diversify in many other investment instruments, need not be conservative for the forex trading fund. Forex is volatile but many strategy is profitable in longer term. Say I have a portfolio of strategy and I want my money to work hard, I will target doubling account per year while does not mind 50% WCS. I willing to take more DD if recovery can be achieve within say two months.

Many trader run conservative risk and loose hope during prolong DD period. If they backtest the strategy many times it has historical 300 to 1000 days  before making a new high water mark.

I have not seen a single strategy that I backtest without multi months or even years to recover. Putting a portfolio make sense but the theoretical DD in WCS scenario can be scary.

Offline Lastonny

• 100% FOREX
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »

5% is a great number for forex trader or stock trader.
Look to the major investment funds: none of the big guys run for crazy profits.
And there is reasonable reason behind  ;)

Offline Stephan09

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »

What is your personal growth expectation? And does it work on live account?

Offline lonewolf

• Keep at it!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

Paul.Trafford, where in the world of fx is 5% growth a month not sensational? 60% a year in an investment is amazing. Yet you say that is "very small" what are you comparing to? You have confused me 100%.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: Outsidethebox HK Signals & PAMM funds by SJWkiller
[Yesterday at 05:24:40 PM]

Re: Pegasus FX by nwboater
[Yesterday at 01:52:31 PM]

Re: Your favourite car? by 2cuteEssence
[Yesterday at 11:12:10 AM]

Re: The Most Common Forex Myths by Loperte
[Yesterday at 09:32:09 AM]

Re: Pegasus FX by Pegasus FX
[Yesterday at 07:55:47 AM]