collapse

Author Topic: Manipulation of price movement  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Paul.Trafford

Manipulation of price movement
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:50 AM »
Hi all.

Currently doing a research. Is it possible to manipulate the price movement ? By this I mean traders, with serious funds, to somehow make the price of certain stock to go up / respectively go down ? Could you please share your thoughts ?

Offline Trunk

Re: Manipulation of price movement
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
Hi all.

Currently doing a research. Is it possible to manipulate the price movement ? By this I mean traders, with serious funds, to somehow make the price of certain stock to go up / respectively go down ? Could you please share your thoughts ?

Yeah its easily done by big whales, for example during news release or major events. The favorite one is whipsaw what is especially maddening as even your right guess of direction compromised with involuntary market movement in opposite direction with the purpose of harvesting stops of small traders. Big whales have order flow at their disposal and love to trigger clustering of SL in order to get better entry and profound price action.

Offline Lastonny

• 100% FOREX
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
In stocks more likely.
Especially so-called "penny stocks" are famous with such movings.

Offline SteveCot

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
In stocks more likely.
Especially so-called "penny stocks" are famous with such movings.

Tim Sykes comes to my mind immediately. What a guy!!
If you have any forex related offers for me - I`m open minded to hear about them

Offline Eliza Abrams

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
You have to be a financial institution or a trader with truly major capital to make any kind of a dent.

Offline Iverson

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:42:12 AM »
Hello. In the penny stocks is where it is most reflected. :D

Offline Hilapur

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
Yes, it is relatively easy to be done, but only very big players are in position to do this, simply because you need to have  huge amount of money in order to move the market. The rest of us can only sit and watch. Although market manipulation is not legally allowed, it happens from time to time

Offline drunkfx

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
Hi all.

Yes you can observe manipulation during news. It's called stop hunting and is often used by big banks. Somehow I learned this tactics and now follow it to make profit.

Online donbon2

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
options are the way most manipulation takes place in FX

also these days trading algos for banks and hedge funds and auto price makers are not humans and sometimes over react to news or do not react at all - till the next day -- it is very unusual price movement

FX is a weird sort of thing - even though you are right - you can still be wrong -- this is simply due to the market factoring in things before they happen and taking profit after.
Broker - IC Markets   VPS - Amazon EC2 + CNS  

EA:
Powerflow NZDCAD
PZ Averaging EA
Autotrader Custom

News - Thomson Reuters Eikon
Trade Manager - Visual Trading Console for MT4
Trading Rebates - through CashBackFX
Trade Notification EA - TradeTalk from FX Blue - free
VPS - I recommend Amazon EC2 - if you qualify for a Broker Sponsored one get CNS
PZ Support/Resistance Indicator / Day Trading Indicator

Online Nasdaq100

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
Just because you can't figure out where the market is going, it does not mean that its being manipulated with!

Offline drunkfx

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
options are the way most manipulation takes place in FX

also these days trading algos for banks and hedge funds and auto price makers are not humans and sometimes over react to news or do not react at all - till the next day -- it is very unusual price movement

FX is a weird sort of thing - even though you are right - you can still be wrong -- this is simply due to the market factoring in things before they happen and taking profit after.

The famous quote says "markets can stay irrational longer than you have money in your account". This is truth is old as stock speculations.

Offline iMusingKiMi

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
No doubt it can be done especially on penny stocks. Every companies has its own market value and penny are relatively small. That's why there are pump and dump everywhere.

Offline y5nitro

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »
We are speaking about market which has daily turnover of few billions of dollars. No matter how rich you are, it is impossible to manipulate it in any sense. However, it might be possible that some government officials say unpurposely something that will impose market reaction

Offline FxTS

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 06:11:02 AM »
It all depends on the market we are speaking about.
If it is about Forex, there is no way to influence it as it is an OTC market with huge liquidity. The only thing could happen is when the unfair broker "draws" price spikes or widens spreads to get off the traders with short stops.
If we speak about stock, it is possible to create your own price movement, but it depends on float as the number of shares. In case of stocks with low float a group of traders with relatively large positions or one institutional player could substancially influence the price. Sometimes it stocks with low liquidity you can draw a candle with the market order on just 1k share. For this reason professional traders and institutional traders usually avoid such stocks.
As for the crypto, it works almost the same, especially for cheap altcoins. The liquidity is divided among several exchanges, so it is easy enough to move the price.
Education, Exploration, Experimentation

Offline reddevil

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »
What about the flash crash on Jan 3?

My question is
(1) how to trigger a flash crash if I am a banker with lots of cash?
(2) how do you actually profit from it?

i.e if I sell 1000 lots of AUDJPY, if there is low liquidity, that means instead of selling at current price of 80.00 (e.g.) , I mange to get 70.00 ( a 1K pips lower). Since it is a sell,don't the price need to go down further for me to profit? But instead during flash crash, the price quickly go back up. That means it will be a loss for me, isn't that correct? So how do I profit from it?

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: FX Autotrader Elite by diyforexskills
[Today at 08:38:43 AM]

Re: ForexGBPAvenger by bestscalper
[Today at 03:47:00 AM]

Re: Automated Trading System on TRUMP Symbol by compujock
[Yesterday at 10:26:40 PM]

Re: Frero system by compujock
[Yesterday at 10:23:50 PM]

Re: Frero system by Nasdaq100
[Yesterday at 06:55:37 PM]