collapse

Author Topic: Darwins  (Read 15519 times)

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
Darwins
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »
The broker Darwinex has had a very poor following here. This is at least partially due to a somewhat confusing  website along with some terminology that probably seems odd to many of us - it does to me anyway. There have been some recent posts in another forum about them however that have sparked my interest.

Besides being a trading broker they have a very unique system of investing with some excellent traders at only a 20% performance fee. It's kind of a cross between a signal and a managed account. I will attempt to explain it and would appreciate being corrected if I have misstated how they operate.

You open an account with them and your funds go into their 'Wallet'. With the Wallet you can invest in any (or many) Darwins (their traders) with a $200 (of your base currency) minimum per Darwin. They have many very good traders and have some interesting ways of quantifying how good the traders are. This can help greatly in selecting Darwins.

Until today I had forgotten a post anglebird made here about Darwinex in March in the Forex Trend Detector thread. I asked him something about them and he replied (italics and Bold by me):

"Hi rod, I'm sorry I can't start to make a thread here about Darwinex and Darwin because I think it's not effective (not many people here using darwinex). If you wanna discuss about darwin and darwin investing you can go to darwinex community, here's the link: https://community.darwinex.com/

My strategy is very simple, I just pick 10 best darwin (Diversification purpose) with low divergent and good profit from 20 TOP Darwin and invest equal amount of money to each darwin, the last step to do is let it run for a year whatever happened (you can call it "Set and Forget"). With this approach in 2 years I made 110% profit with DD only 6%."

Investing in 10 quality traders would require a minimum account size of $2,000 (in your base currency) That would be 10 Darwins (traders) at $200 each = $2,000. This is tremendous diversification at a very low entry price! Some of you may think 55%/ year is not a good profit, but I have come to believe it is very good, especially with only 6% DD and the diversification of 10 good traders. I could even sleep better! :)

If anyone here has experience investing in Darwins I would sure appreciate their sharing information about it. Also anyone's thoughts on the above approach would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rod

Offline Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
Re: Darwins
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:18 AM »
The broker Darwinex has had a very poor following here. This is at least partially due to a somewhat confusing  website along with some terminology that probably seems odd to many of us - it does to me anyway. There have been some recent posts in another forum about them however that have sparked my interest.

Besides being a trading broker they have a very unique system of investing with some excellent traders at only a 20% performance fee. It's kind of a cross between a signal and a managed account. I will attempt to explain it and would appreciate being corrected if I have misstated how they operate.

You open an account with them and your funds go into their 'Wallet'. With the Wallet you can invest in any (or many) Darwins (their traders) with a $200 (of your base currency) minimum per Darwin. They have many very good traders and have some interesting ways of quantifying how good the traders are. This can help greatly in selecting Darwins.

Until today I had forgotten a post anglebird made here about Darwinex in March in the Forex Trend Detector thread. I asked him something about them and he replied (italics and Bold by me):

"Hi rod, I'm sorry I can't start to make a thread here about Darwinex and Darwin because I think it's not effective (not many people here using darwinex). If you wanna discuss about darwin and darwin investing you can go to darwinex community, here's the link: https://community.darwinex.com/

My strategy is very simple, I just pick 10 best darwin (Diversification purpose) with low divergent and good profit from 20 TOP Darwin and invest equal amount of money to each darwin, the last step to do is let it run for a year whatever happened (you can call it "Set and Forget"). With this approach in 2 years I made 110% profit with DD only 6%."

Investing in 10 quality traders would require a minimum account size of $2,000 (in your base currency) That would be 10 Darwins (traders) at $200 each = $2,000. This is tremendous diversification at a very low entry price! Some of you may think 55%/ year is not a good profit, but I have come to believe it is very good, especially with only 6% DD and the diversification of 10 good traders. I could even sleep better! :)

If anyone here has experience investing in Darwins I would sure appreciate their sharing information about it. Also anyone's thoughts on the above approach would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rod

Hello, Rod.

I have been using Darwinex since IC MArkets decided that Canadians were no longer allowed to Broker with them. I second what angelbird has posted and you give a good summary of their services. I would like to ask angelbird what Darwinex filters he uses to determine the top ten traders.

From what I have been able to determine based on the amount of capital that is being invested in Darwinex, I would estimate, it is one of the fastest growing entities out there.

Regards,
HumbleTrader
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:00:09 AM by Humble Trader's Fx »
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:09:59 AM »
Hi Humble Trader,

Thanks for the reply. Do you invest in any 'Darwins' or do you just use them as a traditional trading broker?

One of my concerns with Darwinex is the imposition of major leverage reductions by ESMA starting next month. For most of us using EA's the greatly reduced leverage would probably negate their profitable use.

Darwinex has said though that this should have negligible affect on their Darwins (traders) as many of them use very low leverage. I think this remains to be seen and I fear that some will have to alter their strategies. If so judging who to chose based on past history may become a problem.

Cheers,
Rod

I agree, that is why, for now, I am holding off making any substantial investment in either vihicle ( live trading or investing on other successful traders), until after August, where the new restrictions come into effect.
In a way,  I look forward to the new regulation because I think, it will separate, " the men from the boys".

Regards,
HumbleTrader
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:20:35 AM by Humble Trader's Fx »

Online primi

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
What kind of an investment is this then? I suppose you don't get an account that you can see and also see the trades taken by different traders? I'm asking because it makes a huge difference when my profits are taxed. Trading spot FX is taxed completely differently to other instruments for me and I don't think this would pass as trading spot FX.

Offline Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
Hi Humble Trader,

Thanks for the reply. Do you invest in any 'Darwins' or do you just use them as a traditional trading broker?

One of my concerns with Darwinex is the imposition of major leverage reductions by ESMA starting next month. For most of us using EA's the greatly reduced leverage would probably negate their profitable use.

Darwinex has said though that this should have negligible affect on their Darwins (traders) as many of them use very low leverage. I think this remains to be seen and I fear that some will have to alter their strategies. If so judging who to chose based on past history may become a problem.

Cheers,
Rod

I agree, that is why, for now, I am holding off making any substantial investment in either vihicle ( live trading or investing on other successful traders), until after August, where the new restrictions come into effect.
In a way,  I look forward to the new regulation because I think, it will separate, " the men from the boys".

Regards,
HumbleTrader

One feature of Darwinex which should be mentioned is, "Capacity Managment": What this means in a practical term is when a trader has a certain Highmark volume of followers, Darwin moves in to limit the number of new subscribers. There is much more to this for me to explain here, that is why anyone interested in this Broker, should do some reading from the excellent educational material they provide.

https://blog.darwinex.com/capacity-manager-investor-capital/

Regards,
HumbleTrader
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline outsidetheboxhk

• PAMM Fund Manager and Trade Copy Provider
  • Learn from your mistakes and do not give up!
    • Signal Start
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »

"Hi rod, I'm sorry I can't start to make a thread here about Darwinex and Darwin because I think it's not effective (not many people here using darwinex). If you wanna discuss about darwin and darwin investing you can go to darwinex community, here's the link: https://community.darwinex.com/

Cheers,
Rod

Hello, Rod.

I have been using Darwinex since IC MArkets decided that Canadians were no longer allowed to Broker with them. I second what angelbird has posted and you give a good summary of their services. I would like to ask angelbird what Darwinex filters he uses to determine the top ten traders.

From what I have been able to determine based on the amount of capital that is being invested in Darwinex, I would estimate, it is one of the fastest growing entities out there.

Regards,
HumbleTrader

I agree with all that has been said here.  I'm surprised more attention has not been given to Darwinex in the trade copying / PAMM fund space.  From what I have read and seen so far the whole concept really addresses the risk of investing in unknown signal providers and their database seems to have attracted some great talent.

Charlie, Satang, and I have placed our strategies at Darwinex recently, and we are by no means in the top 20 yet, but have a look at our new DARWIN's and at the blog articles I had posted at ForexSignals Forum below and the info my account manager gave to me, as it speaks to ESMA and the associated leverage restrictions beginning 1 Aug.

FX4Charlie DARWINhttps://www.darwinex.com/darwin/FOK.4.1
Outside the Box DARWINhttps://www.darwinex.com/darwin/BUX.4.4
SatangFXhttps://www.darwinex.com/darwin/KMQ.4.21/
----------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding ESMA and Darwinex
How they propose to "skirt" the margin/leverage restrictions with their investors/DARWIN's.....I was asking how this might affect the returns on strategies listed on their DARWIN database.
I heard back from Darwinex this morning and here's how they responded:

"we have run some stats on our traders and found that most of our best traders do not run a leverage over 25 on their trading operations (although every trader is different of course)

Darwinex will accomplish targeted 10% VaR via our Asset Manager Firm- investors capital will be replicating strategy under this 10% VaR - Our Asset Manager is the one adjusting VaR and adding or reducing leverage to investors capital following the traders. There is no limitations for our Asset Manager Firm.
Those are our comments to ESMA:

https://blog.darwinex.com/esma-product-intervention/
https://blog.darwinex.com/esma-leverage-impact-traders-investors-darwins/
https://blog.darwinex.com/implementation-of-esma-leverage-calendar-and-practical-example/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:55:05 PM by outsidetheboxhk »
--------------------------------------------------
Copy or Invest in my Strategy

SignalStart
SimpleTrader

----------------------------------------------------
Follow Outside the Box HK on

Instagram
TRADINGVIEW

Offline anglebird

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:58 AM »

Cheers,
Rod

Hey Rod,

I'm glad you finally making a new thread about Darwinex, well done..:D First of all, I wanna say that you and anybody don't need to doubt about this broker, darwinex is one of the best out there. Second, Stop wasting your money to purchase an EA just for your own use, you know an EA will not working for long term. Try to give it a shot for making a darwin for it and make a lot of money from getting an investor at Darwinex, so when the EA not working at least you already make a good income. Third, Challenge an EA developer to make a darwin,  if they ignore it so be aware that they only purpose is only making money from selling the EA and not making money from trading it, some of EA developer making a darwin and they already in Top 20 most investor. Try to save your money (stop buy an EA and invest in darwin), you can choose any strategy you want for free and start invest on that broker, make sense now guys?

For your question Rod, you know my strategy right? just pick 10 best darwin with low divergence and good profit form Most Investor Category only (you only focus to look for this category) after that let it run whatever happen at least for a year. :) 
This is my recommendation for you guys, this darwins list is proven has good reputation and long term steady profit:
LVS
THA
VTJ
QUA
NTR
STV
FEG
JMC
ATL
ERQ
NTI

You can check them here: https://www.darwinex.com/filter/TOP_INVESTORS
Hopefully my idea here could help you in the future, thanks a lot guys..:)

Cheers,
anglebird
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:23:38 AM by anglebird »

Offline anglebird

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:27:38 AM »

I agree with all that has been said here.  I'm surprised more attention has not been given to Darwinex in the trade copying / PAMM fund space.  From what I have read and seen so far the whole concept really addresses the risk of investing in unknown signal providers and their database seems to have attracted some great talent.

Charlie, Satang, and I have placed our strategies at Darwinex recently, and we are by no means in the top 20 yet, but have a look at our new DARWIN's and at the blog articles I had posted at ForexSignals Forum below and the info my account manager gave to me, as it speaks to ESMA and the associated leverage restrictions beginning 1 Aug.

FX4Charlie DARWINhttps://www.darwinex.com/darwin/FOK.4.1
Outside the Box DARWINhttps://www.darwinex.com/darwin/BUX.4.4
SatangFX:  ??
----------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding ESMA and Darwinex
How they propose to "skirt" the margin/leverage restrictions with their investors/DARWIN's.....I was asking how this might affect the returns on strategies listed on their DARWIN database.
I heard back from Darwinex this morning and here's how they responded:

"we have run some stats on our traders and found that most of our best traders do not run a leverage over 25 on their trading operations (although every trader is different of course)

Darwinex will accomplish targeted 10% VaR via our Asset Manager Firm- investors capital will be replicating strategy under this 10% VaR - Our Asset Manager is the one adjusting VaR and adding or reducing leverage to investors capital following the traders. There is no limitations for our Asset Manager Firm.
Those are our comments to ESMA:

https://blog.darwinex.com/esma-product-intervention/
https://blog.darwinex.com/esma-leverage-impact-traders-investors-darwins/
https://blog.darwinex.com/implementation-of-esma-leverage-calendar-and-practical-example/

Nice Darwin Bro, keep it up to the TOP.. ;D

Online reinerh

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »

darwins are the cats meow.

the most transparent i have come across. most importantly their stats are dead on, even better then myfxbook and soooooooooo simple to read.

and there is some serious talent to be found.............

anybody who made it to the top with a darwin is a great trader in my book. thales and titan are by far my personal heroes.

i have an account up there as well but still a long way to go to make it to the top.

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
What kind of an investment is this then? I suppose you don't get an account that you can see and also see the trades taken by different traders? I'm asking because it makes a huge difference when my profits are taxed. Trading spot FX is taxed completely differently to other instruments for me and I don't think this would pass as trading spot FX.

Hi Primi,

I can't answer your question but suggest you email info@darwinex.com  I have emailed them a few times with questions and used their chat line. In all cases they were responsive and helpful.

My guess is they are aware that what they are offering is very different (to me in a good way) and to be successful they need to be quite helpful.

Cheers,
Rod

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 05:04:18 AM »

Cheers,
Rod

Hey Rod,

I'm glad you finally making a new thread about Darwinex, well done..:D First of all, I wanna say that you and anybody don't need to doubt about this broker, darwinex is one of the best out there. Second, Stop wasting your money to purchase an EA just for your own use, you know an EA will not working for long term. Try to give it a shot for making a darwin for it and make a lot of money from getting an investor at Darwinex, so when the EA not working at least you already make a good income. Third, Challenge an EA developer to make a darwin,  if they ignore it so be aware that they only purpose is only making money from selling the EA and not making money from trading it, some of EA developer making a darwin and they already in Top 20 most investor. Try to save your money (stop buy an EA and invest in darwin), you can choose any strategy you want for free and start invest on that broker, make sense now guys?

For your question Rod, you know my strategy right? just pick 10 best darwin with low divergence and good profit form Most Investor Category only (you only focus to look for this category) after that let it run whatever happen at least for a year. :) 
This is my recommendation for you guys, this darwins list is proven has good reputation and long term steady profit:
LVS
THA
VTJ
QUA
NTR
STV
FEG
JMC
ATL
ERQ
NTI

You can check them here: https://www.darwinex.com/filter/TOP_INVESTORS
Hopefully my idea here could help you in the future, thanks a lot guys..:)

Cheers,
anglebird

Hi Anglebird,

Thanks very much for your post and especially for the list. I have setup a demo account at Darwinex for this. Two of them JMC & ATL were flagged for high divergence of a little over -3%.

I need to study just what divergence means and how we utilize it so I'm not really clear the significance. Does this mean we should remove those two from the list? If so we will need one more to add since you gave us eleven.

In looking through the Community (Forum) at Darwinex I see there are various portfolios discussed. Might this be one of them? If so what is the name?

Thanks again for some very enlightening information that may send me, and others, on a very different path! :)

Cheers,
Rod

Cheers,
Rod

Online primi

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »

Hi Primi,

I can't answer your question but suggest you email info@darwinex.com  I have emailed them a few times with questions and used their chat line. In all cases they were responsive and helpful.

My guess is they are aware that what they are offering is very different (to me in a good way) and to be successful they need to be quite helpful.

Cheers,
Rod

Thanks Rod, will do that. My problem with trading anything other than spot FX is I have to pay 40% tax and that's a whole lot more than what I pay now. Which is zero.

Offline anglebird

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »

Hi Anglebird,

Thanks very much for your post and especially for the list. I have setup a demo account at Darwinex for this. Two of them JMC & ATL were flagged for high divergence of a little over -3%.

I need to study just what divergence means and how we utilize it so I'm not really clear the significance. Does this mean we should remove those two from the list? If so we will need one more to add since you gave us eleven.

In looking through the Community (Forum) at Darwinex I see there are various portfolios discussed. Might this be one of them? If so what is the name?

Thanks again for some very enlightening information that may send me, and others, on a very different path! :)

Cheers,
Rod

Cheers,
Rod

Hey Rod,

Divergence is the difference between your investment result and the darwin result. You can check in in every darwin just click the darwin and look for Investors tab (which is on the same line with investable attributes) click it, after that scroll down and you will see the chart with title (Divergence in %) thats data is telling us the past performance of how much profit we made in % after we invest in this darwin since the beginning. Very negative divergence is bad, I admit.. BUT if the darwin consistently profitable, you will always make money even the divergence is bad. That's why ATL and JMC still has $200K investors money because it still making money.

Yes the Community is very active especially "CavaliereVerde" this guy is super active in the group.. hehe..
But not all darwin provider are active and want to share much about him/her and the strategy behind it. I don't care anyway, because if he or she can manage such huge investors money and still profitable for years, it means this trader is not an amateur. For JMC and ATL this is the thread for it https://community.darwinex.com/t/atl-and-jmc-titaneur/3468

I tell you guys why I switched to a different path, I personally have more than 7 years of experience in trading but all I did is buy an EA use it and than it failed. Go to forums, go to forex review and find a new EA buy it, use it, and then failed again, and search for new one again and again. I did it for almost 7 years and what I got..? Nothing!!! I don't even know what forex market is, how it works, why today Pound so strong, Why today DAX flying high, why today Gold in a range, I don't KNOW!!! All I know is Best Scalper is a great scalper, Wallstreet EA is short term EA, FXautomater is good company, thats all!!!

So I admite ONE THING that buy an EA and use it to make money does not make you a TRADER, you are not a TRADER but you are an INVESTOR.. You invest on Best Scalper for example, buy it and run it on your account expecting it could make you a lot of money, this behaviour is not the behaviour of Trader, it is the behaviour of investor, you invest on Best Scalper. So why not to learn to be the real investor? Now I learn how to trade manually, learn about divergence, cycle and convergence, preparing my self to be real trader, knowing how the market really works. After that, try to make a profitable Darwin and have a good income from it, also being a profitable investor..

Trust me guys, if you serious to forex business just Stop buy an EA (it's waste your time and effort). Start to learn how to trade manually, learning how the market really works, be a true Forex Trader or learn to be a Professional Investor. :)

Best Regards,
anglebird

Offline nwboater

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:10 AM »

Hi Anglebird,

Cheers,
Rod

Cheers,
Rod

Hey Rod,

Divergence is the difference between your investment result and the darwin result. You can check in in every darwin just click the darwin and look for Investors tab (which is on the same line with investable attributes) click it, after that scroll down and you will see the chart with title (Divergence in %) thats data is telling us the past performance of how much profit we made in % after we invest in this darwin since the beginning. Very negative divergence is bad, I admit.. BUT if the darwin consistently profitable, you will always make money even the divergence is bad. That's why ATL and JMC still has $200K investors money because it still making money.

Yes the Community is very active especially "CavaliereVerde" this guy is super active in the group.. hehe..
But not all darwin provider are active and want to share much about him/her and the strategy behind it. I don't care anyway, because if he or she can manage such huge investors money and still profitable for years, it means this trader is not an amateur. For JMC and ATL this is the thread for it https://community.darwinex.com/t/atl-and-jmc-titaneur/3468

I tell you guys why I switched to a different path, I personally have more than 7 years of experience in trading but all I did is buy an EA use it and than it failed. Go to forums, go to forex review and find a new EA buy it, use it, and then failed again, and search for new one again and again. I did it for almost 7 years and what I got..? Nothing!!! I don't even know what forex market is, how it works, why today Pound so strong, Why today DAX flying high, why today Gold in a range, I don't KNOW!!! All I know is Best Scalper is a great scalper, Wallstreet EA is short term EA, FXautomater is good company, thats all!!!

So I admite ONE THING that buy an EA and use it to make money does not make you a TRADER, you are not a TRADER but you are an INVESTOR.. You invest on Best Scalper for example, buy it and run it on your account expecting it could make you a lot of money, this behaviour is not the behaviour of Trader, it is the behaviour of investor, you invest on Best Scalper. So why not to learn to be the real investor? Now I learn how to trade manually, learn about divergence, cycle and convergence, preparing my self to be real trader, knowing how the market really works. After that, try to make a profitable Darwin and have a good income from it, also being a profitable investor..

Trust me guys, if you serious to forex business just Stop buy an EA (it's waste your time and effort). Start to learn how to trade manually, learning how the market really works, be a true Forex Trader or learn to be a Professional Investor. :)

Best Regards,
anglebird

Thanks for all the information you are sharing about Darwinex - really appreciate it!

I can certainly understand your past experiences and frustrations with EA's. I too have had similar on many EA's and Signals. It would be great if Darwinex can be the answer to these difficulties - it sure has been for you.

I also admire your goal of learning manual trading and earning from Investors. For me though I just know that manual trading would not work.  I'm not the right personality for it, nor do I have enough interest.

One of the big appeals to Darwinex is that we can follow many traders without having to pay individual signal fees. One would have to have a huge portfolio to justify paying the fees for 10 signals elsewhere!

I like your filtering approach to select the 10 'best' Darwins (traders), although your list contained 11. I made a table (attached) that shows the profits of these 11 for 2016, 2017 & 2018 YTD including trader averages and portfolio averages.

The summary of the average annual profits in percent is:
2016 46%
2017 31%
2018 YTD 13.5%
Annual average for the 2.6 years 32%.

It seems that for this portfolio at least profits are annually decreasing. It appears that it would be difficult to duplicate Anglebirds profits of 110% in 2 years. Anglebird, I'm wondering if you somehow used a risk multiplier at Darwinex?

From reading the Darwinex forum and Darwinex literature it seems that the high annual profits of 50-100% many of us retail traders expect is unrealistic. Several times I saw references of 20% annually as being reasonable.

Thanks again for your help with Darwinex.

Cheers,
Rod

Online petersurrey

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
Darwinex is the only managed account provider I have profited with over time and has a lot going for it. It is very transparent, however grid and marti systems can still sneak in  - you need to need to drill down through the 'underlying strategy' and 'trade journal' to confirm the number of open trades at any one time  - not at all obvious to a first user. The trader is also not obliged to show the trade stats; therefore although appearing to be transparent you could be going blindly into a more risky system than you thought.

Although Darwinex operates a strict 10% VAR ( value at risk) using the traders historic live account records to limit the potential risk to the investor; the very nature of forex means that as the market changes losses can far exceed this 10% limit, as you can see by filtering ' drawdown' for all darwins.

Finally, a lot of great systems don't offer leverage ( large investment) ability without major divergence issues, such as THA..really frustrating when you see that 'sell' only option when trying to invest!

There are some solid lower risk systems which have shown they can manage most conditions over the last few years such as LVS, and Darwinex allows you to use double leverage even with the latest ESMA rules, which makes these Darwins more appealing...20-30% at double leverage is a very healthy return...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:23:28 PM by petersurrey »

browse forum