collapse

Author Topic: PZ Bollinger Band EA Set File  (Read 31781 times)

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
Re: PZ Bollinger Band EA Set File
« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »
Not off to a good start

Both the Revised and Trend Following strategies are in uptrend on demo and so trading on live. And with PF >2 for the Revised strategy on demo, the lot size for that strategy on live is now doubled.

Which would be good if they were Buys, but the indicators have said Sell, so sell trades we have; so we have lost a bit and I expect more loss on the way. We'll see. Maybe Trump will tweet up the USD.

(I have started the year with a clean slate in terms of VPS and platforms since I was getting too many glitches. A bit of work repopulating the new platforms and adding the EAs and Controllers to all the charts especially since there were open trades when all this was done. But all in place now and signalling correctly.)

We have taken the hit (9% DD) and both the original and Trend Following strategies were Controlled and out of action on live for most of January. But now all three strategies are signalling Yes again, with the Revised strategy still at double normal lot size (PF > 2), and so we await the market action going into February.
Information and product page - http://www.diyforexskills.com/forex-tools/

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
@Diyforexskills: The results you show, are they with or without the controller?

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2019, 09:50:57 PM »
@Diyforexskills: The results you show, are they with or without the controller?

With the Controller (except for the Magic Wand account). The FX Blue link for FXAE BB EA is just for those three strategies with the Controller.
The myfxbook is the same account using the Controller but shows those three plus two other strategies.

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2019, 10:02:59 PM »
With the Controller (except for the Magic Wand account). The FX Blue link for FXAE BB EA is just for those three strategies with the Controller.
The myfxbook is the same account using the Controller but shows those three plus two other strategies.

I meant the attachment in your previous post.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2019, 01:20:40 AM »

The Attachment in Reply #195 is just one of the views you can do from the FX Blue link for FXAE BB EAs in my signature.

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »

The Attachment in Reply #195 is just one of the views you can do from the FX Blue link for FXAE BB EAs in my signature.

OK, got it. It is not very clear to me in the myfxbook which magic is what, though. Could you perhaps indicate it a bit more clearly in the descriptions, or make a list?

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:00 PM »
The BB EAs are the ones that are named - highlighted in yellow.

Ones which include PF in the name are ones which are traded when PF is >2; my way of doubling lot size when an EA is doing really well. At the moment only the Revised BB strategy has a PF > 2 so those trades are being duplicated, labelled Revised PF. That strategy has scale-ins so we also have Revised PF scale-in.

48164 is one which is available to Autotrader subscribers; 248164 is an ATR- adaptation of that one; and 481812 and 48181211 is a proprietary one with scale-ins.

Offline FLechdrop

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:31 AM »
OK, thanks for clarifying!

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »
Giving Trend Following BB Strategy a Rest

I am not liking the rather erratic performance of the Trend Following strategy at the moment so have switched Allow live trading to off on the live account.

(Murphy's Law now dictates of course that the next dozen trades with this strategy will all be winners!)

The image below shows the performance of this strategy on demo account on the top charts - the closed P/L is very jumpy and whipsawing around its SMA20; and PF is poor. As a result the 12 trades allowed on the live account have netted a $50 loss. So I will wait till I see a smoother performance curve from this strategy on the demo account. I am also hoping to improve this strategy once I have the upgraded Autotrader.

The bottom two charts are for the Revised BB strategy on demo account; a much better performance. With PF way above 2, this strategy is now trading at twice the normal lot size on live. Overall this strategy is $53 in profit.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2019, 02:02:46 AM »
Day of Week

Way too early to be sure but something to watch. Looks like Mondays is not good for all three BB strategies. Image shows loss for 13 trades and further examination shows they are equally spread among the 3 strategies.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:22 AM »
It's been a while since i reported on these.

Out of the three BB EAs, only the revised strategy 5716101/10111 has performed OK and the trend following one is failing badly. Trading a second revised strategy EA when PF was above 2, has not worked out well. In reality, I have been trading these EAs on far too high a risk given the small account size. So a bit of work to do, once I finish with the new MA cross strategies using the Autotrader.

Luckily I have been tradings these three BB EAs along with my favorite Autotrader GJ strategy on H4 and have benefited from two good moves, especially last night. So the Controlled Trading account is back in profit as shown on the myfxbook widget.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
Closing Comments on the BB experiment

I began this experiment in October 2018 running three BB strategies on demo and live using the EA Controller to manage the trading on live.
Demo account was run at 0.1 lot sizing and live account started with 0.02 which I lowered to 0.01 in March. So for comparison purposes we need to divide the demo results by 10.

Controller Comments
On that basis, the use of the Controller was negative. Demo made $76, live lost $41.
Part of the problem is that one or other of the platforms fails to take a trade from time to time. And when we run a OB/OS strategy, the Buys and Sells get out of sync on demo vs live. So the Controller ends up monitoring the performance of the wrong sequence of trading.

I am currently only using the Controller as an on screen Monitor on my live trading account. And in some cases I am still running the demo and using the Controller/Monitor to manually switch live trading On and Off; this has saved me from a long DD on one of my other strategies (see second image).

FXAE BB Strategy
Of the three strategies, only the Revised, 5716101 based on an ATR modulated BB setting, has been successful. See third image.
I will keep running this one for a while.

But otherwise, this little experiment is finished for me and I won't be reporting any more on it.

For those who bought the package, thank you for participating. Not as successful as I had hoped, but you at least have one profitable EA and of course the Controllers which can be used, as I said, purely as handy on-screen monitors so you can instantly see whether the EAs you are running are doing well or in trouble. And if you always run your EAs on live and demo in parallel, then you can monitor the failing EAs on demo to see if and when market conditions become favourable again.

Online diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2019, 04:48:47 AM »
Closing Comments on the BB experiment
FXAE BB Strategy
Of the three strategies, only the Revised, 5716101 based on an ATR modulated BB setting, has been successful. See third image.
I will keep running this one for a while.

I have kept running the FXAE Bollinger Band strategy. And a year has now passed. So we have made a bit under 10% return over the year with a strategy that does not trade often because most trades are of long duration (so swaps can be an issue). Not good enough but at least profitable for a very simple strategy - sell when price touches upper band; buy when price touches lower band. But the key was a very large ATR-based SL and a marty scale-in (same lot size).  A common strategy but in this case the novel aspect is that the BB Deviation that is used is modulated by market volatility (as measured by ATR).

And so we learn. Just takes time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:05:40 AM by diyforexskills »

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Today at 10:25:27 AM]

Re: Swap Master - Market Neutral Arbitrage Trading by Josef
[Today at 09:27:35 AM]

Re: Swap Master - Market Neutral Arbitrage Trading by Josef
[Today at 09:14:46 AM]

Re: Who makes a living on Forex??? by fxopen78