collapse

Author Topic: Momentum Classic Price Action (via MQL5.com)  (Read 1572 times)

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
Re: Momentum Classic Price Action (via MQL5.com)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
For now I don't really get how the lot size is determined. There seems to be quite a bit of variety. I understand that is why you cannot create a percentage based risk portfolio in QuantAnalyzer.

Why the difference in lot size between trades that are close to each other in terms of time/balance/equity? And why does it open several trades in the same direction simultaneously, that sometimes close at the same time as well and sometimes not? Can you tell us a little bit more about the strategy?

If you are use autolot, Lotsize is fully depended from a size of SL. SL and TP are dynamic too. For example, SL = medium of a channel. Also summ of losses for all possible trades by preset = Percent of loss. If in preset possible 2 group of orders and 4 orders for a pair, totally max 8 orders. For all 8 possible orders max Loss = Percent of loss. Then system calculate a lot size from a SL. If in settings 2 groups of orders, but just 1 group have been opened, Max loss = Percent of Loss/Groups of orders.

For example: if we have SL 90 pips and trades have been opened with the lotsize 0.01, so with the SL 30 pips for this preset trades will be opened with the lotsize 0.03.

do you have any real forward accounts running ???

One thing that would worry me is slippage/bad spreads on less common pairs.
system have a high expectancy (average profit at pips) so spreads and slippage not very important, as for scalers.

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »
OK. I like that, the correlation of SL and lot size. That makes perfect sense. Also in that case, if you use a % based risk in the portfolio using 'Money Management' in in Quant Analyzer, it should work... Correct?
I don't use it. I am making tests with the risk 0.2% and balance 100 000, it is similar to risk 2% and balance 10 000, but without reinvest and without lot increase - it's more correct.

I don't really get why it would be more correct? That would depend on how you would trade it live.

There is a 'lot increase' whenever you use a percentage and the system is making profits... or am I missing something here? Are you setting a virtual balance of 100.000 that always stays the same, so that the lot size remains the same?

Also not sure what you mean with 'without reinvest', but if you mean that the profits from earlier trades/and or other pairs are not taken into account, which would be the case with a virtual balance, I don't see how that would be more correct or better... unless that is the only way to trade the EA.

In short, please explain a little bit more how exactly risk management works with this EA in general and with the tests you provided in particular.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:18:38 PM by FLechdrop »

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
There is a 'lot increase' whenever you use a percentage and the system is making profits... or am I missing something here? Are you setting a virtual balance of 100.000 that always stays the same, so that the lot size

Yes, you are right!  If use autolot 2 and balance 10000, portfolio will be incorrect. We can't correctly calculate Drawdown and Portfolio with the autolot. It is normally not for longterm tests and analysing, because, for example, 1 pair will be get 20% of profit, anathoer one 100%, so max dd, average return and etc will be incorrect.

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »
No 'Black Friday' discount for this one? I might want to try it, but without any live history I think $250 is a bit much...

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 02:17:02 AM »
No 'Black Friday' discount for this one? I might want to try it, but without any live history I think $250 is a bit much...

Black Friday discount was available, but $250 for Price Action is a very small price :) Look, $500 is average price for grids and 1000-2000 for scalpers now at MQL5 ;)

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
I saw it afterwards, it was available on the day itself. I missed it. Would have been nice if it would have been mentioned here.

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »
I saw it afterwards, it was available on the day itself. I missed it. Would have been nice if it would have been mentioned here.

I have maken a discount for today just for Donna's users - $150 ;)

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
OK, great! I just bought it and will be testing when I find the time.

One thing that worries me a bit is if you run the whole portfolio, you sometimes get extensive losing sequences such as on 8 October 2008 in the tests you provided. This could really hurt, especially if it happens before you have made lots of profit.

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
OK, great! I just bought it and will be testing when I find the time.

One thing that worries me a bit is if you run the whole portfolio, you sometimes get extensive losing sequences such as on 8 October 2008 in the tests you provided. This could really hurt, especially if it happens before you have made lots of profit.

Thank you for purchase :)

First of all: as we know, 2007-2009 years were very hard not only at Forex, but for all finance world!

Of course, hard DD are possible for any system and we cannot predict all market situations. If I will try to optimize this periods, a chance of overfitting is increased!

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
Yes, I get that, and that is not my idea (optimising for this period). I am just thinking perhaps it is dangerous to run the same pairs on different time frames, as in some cases it takes the same losing trade in all of them and in different correlated pairs as well.

Of course you can simply adjust the risk accordingly, but then you will always be trading very small lot sizes unless you have a huge account (as you are doing in your tests as well).

At the same time, if you do not run all the set files provided, you will get relatively few trades. But perhaps fewer trades with less draw down is better. I will investigate.

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
What I do love, as I said before, is the correlation of stop loss and size. As that seems something very basic to forex trading to me, but very few EAs incorporate it.

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
What I do love, as I said before, is the correlation of stop loss and size. As that seems something very basic to forex trading to me, but very few EAs incorporate it.

Do you mean correlation of lot size and stop loss?

Offline Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
For now I don't really get how the lot size is determined. There seems to be quite a bit of variety. I understand that is why you cannot create a percentage based risk portfolio in QuantAnalyzer.

Why the difference in lot size between trades that are close to each other in terms of time/balance/equity? And why does it open several trades in the same direction simultaneously, that sometimes close at the same time as well and sometimes not? Can you tell us a little bit more about the strategy?

If you are use autolot, Lotsize is fully depended from a size of SL. SL and TP are dynamic too. For example, SL = medium of a channel. Also summ of losses for all possible trades by preset = Percent of loss. If in preset possible 2 group of orders and 4 orders for a pair, totally max 8 orders. For all 8 possible orders max Loss = Percent of loss. Then system calculate a lot size from a SL. If in settings 2 groups of orders, but just 1 group have been opened, Max loss = Percent of Loss/Groups of orders.

For example: if we have SL 90 pips and trades have been opened with the lotsize 0.01, so with the SL 30 pips for this preset trades will be opened with the lotsize 0.03.

system have a high expectancy (average profit at pips) so spreads and slippage not very important, as for scalers.

Hello, vanvp .

My suspicious nature tells me that this is a running conversation between two parties or maybe one posing as two, between you and FLechdrop. The only other member than myself to be involved in this thread, was our trusted member reinerh, with the question, "do you have any real forward accounts running ???", which was totally ignored.

May I suggest you and Flechdrop carry on a pm conversation and not distract other members' whose time to attend to posts is limited to substantive fx developments.  ;)

Regards,
HumbleTrader
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline ivanvp

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »

Hello, vanvp .

My suspicious nature tells me that this is a running conversation between two parties or maybe one posing as two, between you and FLechdrop. The only other member than myself to be involved in this thread, was our trusted member reinerh, with the question, "do you have any real forward accounts running ???", which was totally ignored.

May I suggest you and Flechdrop carry on a pm conversation and not distract other members' whose time to attend to posts is limited to substantive fx developments.  ;)

Regards,
HumbleTrader

I am sorry, I haven't seen a question. I have added MyFxBook to the first post ;)

Offline FLechdrop

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »

Do you mean correlation of lot size and stop loss?

Yes, exactly. I thought in the context that was the only possible interpretation, so my lazy nature made me skip a word.

I think this is something which should implemented in EAs by default, instead of assuming for instance a 100 pip stop loss when calculating the lot size for a certain percentage of risk.

browse forum