collapse

Author Topic: Free Coding Service  (Read 1026 times)

Offline skinner36

Free Coding Service
« on: July 29, 2020, 03:27:32 AM »
Hi,

I am a retired programmer with extensive experience in C#, C++ and MQL.

Unfortunately the tough covid19 restrictions where I live are making life pretty boring and tiresome. Saying that, Im not sick so I am in a much better position than some of the people who are and my thoughts go out to them.

I am a hopeless trader but a good programmer so to consume some of the excess spare time I have I thought I would offer my coding skills to traders here for free. You never know, maybe I could even learn to trade as well.

So if you have a successful manual strategy that you would like to automate then get in touch and maybe we can make it happen.

All the best,
Pop.

Offline Humble Trader's Fx

• Global Moderator
Re: Free Coding Service
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »
Hi,

I am a retired programmer with extensive experience in C#, C++ and MQL.

Unfortunately the tough covid19 restrictions where I live are making life pretty boring and tiresome. Saying that, Im not sick so I am in a much better position than some of the people who are and my thoughts go out to them.

I am a hopeless trader but a good programmer so to consume some of the excess spare time I have I thought I would offer my coding skills to traders here for free. You never know, maybe I could even learn to trade as well.

So if you have a successful manual strategy that you would like to automate then get in touch and maybe we can make it happen.

All the best,
Pop.

Hello, Skinner.

Normally we don't allow advertisements on our site but reading your offer, I thought it might be something useful for our members at this time.

Good luck.

Regards,
HumbleTrader,
Global Moderator.
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline skinner36

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 12:22:37 AM »
Hi HumbleTrader,

An interesting take on it there. I must admit I didn't think of it as an advertisement.

Cheers,

Pop

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »
Hi HumbleTrader,

An interesting take on it there. I must admit I didn't think of it as an advertisement.

Cheers,

Pop

Hello, Skinner.

It is: You would be surprised to see how many "back door" creative ways, marketers use to gain a footing into our members.

Good luck. Keep us posted if you get to work on something challenging and one which our members can share some ideas.

Regards,
HumbleTrader
Global Moderator
We humbly approach the Forex Market and take only what is earned through our hard work and intelligence.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 02:43:57 AM »
This will be a fascinating and very helpful thread. Thank you Skinner.

Once i can type again with my right hand also, I will post some more.

Some people might also be interested in the coding experimentation that Chris Lee is doing - might avoid some duplication of ideas and/or trigger ideas for us to test here with Skinner?
https://www.pipmavens.com/blog/forex-backtest-ichimoku/
Information, rebates and products -
http://www.diyforexskills.com

Offline 4xplosion

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:28:21 AM »
Is this thread still alive?  I have a strategy for automating....

Offline skinner36

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 05:58:07 AM »
Hi there,

Yes it is still alive. I am working on a project for diyforexskills at the moment

Cheers,

John

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 03:24:03 AM »
The project we are working on is a HedgeBot EA to assist with recovery operations when trades have not gone the way we had planned and you want to have a second chance to try and close out the errand trade(s) with a small profit.

The intention is to make this available to DonnaFX Forum members possibly via a small donation to Donna to help with the running costs of this great Forum.

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »
The project we are working on is a HedgeBot EA to assist with recovery operations when trades have not gone the way we had planned and you want to have a second chance to try and close out the errand trade(s) with a small profit.

The intention is to make this available to DonnaFX Forum members possibly via a small donation to Donna to help with the running costs of this great Forum.

Update

A first draft is finished and it includes the ability to test hedging scenarios on Strategy Tester by having the EA place a trade when Tester starts. So we can examine a chart, search for a period when a trade would go badly into DD, and test the hedging scenarios from there.

Result. Not promising at all. Many times we would be worse off then at the opening DD due to market gyrations - hedges going into loss etc. This info in itself is very valuable and reinforces why we should have a SL on all our trades. But we, including me, still don't always do that and so the challenge continues.

So we are now adding a MA crossover filter for Hedge to be triggered as an extra entry condition, and for exiting the Hedge trade should price reverse again.

The images below show the current Inputs for the EA, and a chart which attempts to show how this MA modification might help.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »

Update

A first draft is finished and it includes the ability to test hedging scenarios on Strategy Tester by having the EA place a trade when Tester starts. So we can examine a chart, search for a period when a trade would go badly into DD, and test the hedging scenarios from there.

Result. Not promising at all. Many times we would be worse off then at the opening DD due to market gyrations - hedges going into loss etc. This info in itself is very valuable and reinforces why we should have a SL on all our trades. But we, including me, still don't always do that and so the challenge continues.

So we are now adding a MA crossover filter for Hedge to be triggered as an extra entry condition, and for exiting the Hedge trade should price reverse again.

The images below show the current Inputs for the EA, and a chart which attempts to show how this MA modification might help.

Keep trying, you will succeed!  :)

Regards,
HumbleTrader

Offline kennyhubbard

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
diyforexskills,

I believe you cannot hedge yourself out of a corner. Once the hedge is open, you are market neutral and the trade may just as well have been closed.

That said, I am not here to bash your efforts but to suggest/ask whether you are using/familiar with the use of OrderCloseBy function in MT4?

Regards

Kenny
Wealth Creation Through Technology

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 12:01:21 AM »
diyforexskills,

I believe you cannot hedge yourself out of a corner. Once the hedge is open, you are market neutral and the trade may just as well have been closed.

That said, I am not here to bash your efforts but to suggest/ask whether you are using/familiar with the use of OrderCloseBy function in MT4?

Regards

Kenny

Hi Kenny, thanks for comments.

Now that I have checked - "OrderCloseBy Closes an open order by an opposite open order." Skinner would have to say whether he is using this function but what use/advantage do you see for its use.
As to hedging out of corners. Yes if we use 1:1 lot size, but that is why we have a Hedge Lot Size multiplier function. All my testing so far indicates we need to "hedge" aggressively to have the best chance of success. So a multiplier of 2 and a partial close of losing trade of around 80% in some examples. It all depends on how price moves after the hedge is placed - just like in placing a trade in the first place!

And of course doubling the risk for the hedge compared to the losing trade can go awfully pear-shaped if price then turns against the hedge; hence the addition of the MA cross exit that we are adding.

Offline kennyhubbard

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 03:10:54 AM »
Hi diy,

lol, I used to be an ardent hedge-grid trader until I was shown the light by a fellow trader. I appreciate you can open a bigger hedge order, which is the fundamental principle of hedge grid trading. My basic view is that any combination of hedge can be resolved to 1 single trade, involving less commission, spread cost and swaps.

Anyway, that is a discussion for another time. As you indicated, OrderCloseBy, uses your own hedge order to close an order, so if you have 2 lots long and 1 lots short, when you use ordercloseby, you will be left with 1 lot long.

The real benefit is less obvious and not well documented and that is when you use it, you do not pay spread costs or commission on 1 of the orders, so it is far more cost effective that just closing the hedge orders normally. It is also instantaneous, without slippage or momentary unhedged exposure.

The downside is that not all brokers support it, so you will have to dig around to see who does. It is also far more complicated to implement programmatically.

To see if it is supported, you click on a hedged trade and in the Trade Dialogue, select Order Close By or Multiple CloseBy from the order type box(as per screenshot). Note : the closeby options only appear if there is a hedged trade in the symbol you have selected, so you won't see it on a normal unhedged trade.

As an afterthought, it might not be that useful for you if you are closing the hedge order separately from your target order, but it is still an interesting feature of MT4.
Wealth Creation Through Technology

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 04:15:35 AM »
OK, thanks for that explanation.

I should emphasize that we are building this EA for use as a last resort attempt to rescue a badly losing position(s); not as a trading EA. So starting the EA is a manual decision based on an analysis of the likely market direction. Which is also why we have a reverse hedge option should we decide to try a marty approach to getting back to BE sooner if we conclude that the market is reverting back to mean.

I am well positioned to try this since I currently have 2 large losing positions on my private live account, and one on SteadyTrader, due to a few stupid decisions.   :)

We have structured the EA to deal with two types of losing positions - one large losing trade or many small losing trades; the latter is dealt with by being able to specify how many hedges we can run individually but concurrently.

That would allow me, theoretically, for example, to run something like SwapTrader and engage the HedgeBot EA when things go pear-shaped to try and recover.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:33:51 AM by diyforexskills »

Offline skinner36

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 05:22:44 AM »
Hi KennyHubbard,

A couple of reasons that One of the reasons that OrderCloseBy in this instance is
1. A percentage of the target order to close cannot be specified.
2. The target cannot be multiple orders.

Cheers,

John

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Yesterday at 03:46:27 PM]

Re: FX Autotrader Elite by diyforexskills
[Yesterday at 05:57:40 AM]

Re: Bitcoin Discussion by oportunis
[November 26, 2020, 05:23:32 PM]

Re: How can I learn Forex? by Eliza Abrams
[November 26, 2020, 04:01:26 PM]