collapse

Author Topic: VPS and it importance in forex trading.  (Read 7544 times)

Offline reddevil

Re: VPS and it importance in forex trading.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »
Like choosing a tailor - expensive tailor/bad workmanship, expensive/good, cheap/bad and cheap/good. Of course I like cheap/good. :)
Amazon servers are true cloud servers. i.e. no single point of failure.
When you setup your windows, do you just click "next" in the setup screen until the end and then setup MT4?
I spend half a day setting up each of my vps, what I get is a barebone vps. Just like nascar races, you strip everything not needed to make it fast.
nowadays, I am experimenting with linux. Most providers have linux within that is your windows vps. This 2 layer container gives a slight degradation in speed.

my server then needs to be harden. It is invisible to the outside world to prevent DDOS, hacking etc. What is not visible doesn't draw attention.

I have real-time monitoring that sends info to my phone if the server is down.

Needles to say I am in the 'cheap/good' category. My job is to make money in forex - one of the step is to spend less - either in commission or vps.

I won't mention how much I spend or who I spend with since everyone of you above will feel you have needlessly overpaid. :-X

Most of the EA out there are badly written. ie. speed/efficiency is not in the design. If you cannot backtest a year of tick data in a couple of minutes, the EA is badly written, which is why your MT4 is sluggish, use a lot of RAM and CPU and sometimes it crash.'

Since I am not paying price for amazon, I can afford multiple servers. If one is down, the EAs can be startup within minutes on the other server.

With IC market, you connect through proxies, so the best you can get is 2ms, so no use getting a forex VPS. with GP and other brokers, you can still be under 1ms if you are close enough, again not necessarily with forex vps providers.
Does the very low latency makes a difference in your trades? Only you can tell, for my EAs, anything under 5ms is good enough but all my VPS is 2ms to ICM.

Offline HFT Group

• HFT Group Forex Rebates
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
Like choosing a tailor - expensive tailor/bad workmanship, expensive/good, cheap/bad and cheap/good. Of course I like cheap/good. :)
Amazon servers are true cloud servers. i.e. no single point of failure.
When you setup your windows, do you just click "next" in the setup screen until the end and then setup MT4?
I spend half a day setting up each of my vps, what I get is a barebone vps. Just like nascar races, you strip everything not needed to make it fast.
nowadays, I am experimenting with linux. Most providers have linux within that is your windows vps. This 2 layer container gives a slight degradation in speed.

my server then needs to be harden. It is invisible to the outside world to prevent DDOS, hacking etc. What is not visible doesn't draw attention.

I have real-time monitoring that sends info to my phone if the server is down.

Needles to say I am in the 'cheap/good' category. My job is to make money in forex - one of the step is to spend less - either in commission or vps.

I won't mention how much I spend or who I spend with since everyone of you above will feel you have needlessly overpaid. :-X

Most of the EA out there are badly written. ie. speed/efficiency is not in the design. If you cannot backtest a year of tick data in a couple of minutes, the EA is badly written, which is why your MT4 is sluggish, use a lot of RAM and CPU and sometimes it crash.'

Since I am not paying price for amazon, I can afford multiple servers. If one is down, the EAs can be startup within minutes on the other server.

With IC market, you connect through proxies, so the best you can get is 2ms, so no use getting a forex VPS. with GP and other brokers, you can still be under 1ms if you are close enough, again not necessarily with forex vps providers.
Does the very low latency makes a difference in your trades? Only you can tell, for my EAs, anything under 5ms is good enough but all my VPS is 2ms to ICM.

Bit of misinformation in this post. I have 1ms or less ping to IC Markets server.

If you aren't going to share there is no need to rub other members faces in it.

Offline reddevil

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
I didn't mean to often anyone. What I wanted to share was that there is more to setting up VPS than just getting one and installing the EA.
When I first started that is what I did and it cause lots of grief.
My suggestion is that when you forward test your EAs, run multiple EAs with the same MT4. This will highlight any issue.

At one time, many years ago, I forward test an EA on its own, ran fine. Then I install it on my live account where there was other EA running, this new EA start closing trades from the other EA !!. Of course I blame the broker. This new EA did not respect the magic numbers used by other EA. Like I mention earlier many EAs are not well written.
In summary to setup your VPS after installing windows:
1. remove any unwanted applications - your VPS should only consumer 450 to 480mb RAM at most(it can be less but I digress...). MS assumes most server are for businesses, ours is just trading, nothing else.
2. Prevent unwanted access to your server -firewall.  setup transferring EA from your desktop or another server via point and click.
3. setup realtime monitoring.
4. Recover any disk space. With windows 2012R2 installed,the total disk used should be about 11g. So a VPS with 20G is good enough for me, why pay for more? This step can be skipped if your VPS has lots of disk space.

finally, setup your EA.

5. reboot your VPS, and check that your MT4/EA restarts itself.

What happens if your provider has extended outage? You need to have another VPS with all EA/MT4 installed on another VPS but not running. If there is an outage, activate the EA on the second VPS and CHANGE the master MT4 password.

So have 2 VPS, with each of them running different EAs but use each as backup for the other. Note: earlier version of MT4 do have memory leaks which means the RAM usage keeps increasing. Use the latest version and if it still occurs, then it is likely to be the EA.

I won't mention how many EAs can be used for what size server since it depends on your EA. If you write your own EA, you know how it works.
I have several VPS,simply because making any changes to the above steps needs to be tested and run for several weeks before I make changes to the VPS running live and also I don't run demo and live accounts on the same VPS.
The above is what I believe is best practice for setting VPS for forex, treat trading like a business and make business decision.

Offline kennyhubbard

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 05:38:29 AM »
Here is another tip.

Bring up the task manager on your VPS. It will show you what resources are being consumed by which terminals.

Check the screenshot where I am running 4 terminals on my home computer.

Here you can clearly see what the load is on each terminal. I like to see them under 10% each and total load under 50%. You can see memory and other resources are not even close to being an issue.

If you see one running higher than expected, right click on the culprit and select "Open File Location" from the drop down context menu. See attached screenshot.

You can see there are several clues that I have highlighted to tell you which is the offending terminal.

As a tip, I find that hiding unused symbols helps to reduce the load significantly. To hide unused symbols, right click on an symbol in the Market Watch window and select "Hide All" from the drop down context menu.

As an example, I selected "Show All" and attached the last screenshot where you can see the terminal load went up to 23%

Just be aware when you do this that your EA might need some symbols such as if you are trading HK50. You should then leave USDHKG & EURUSD visible or you will run into trouble as the terminal cannot calculate various things.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:42:21 AM by kennyhubbard »
Wealth Creation Through Technology

Offline Sebastian90

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 04:58:09 PM »
Can anyone trade using VPS and would like to know the advantages of using it to run Forex EA?

Offline diyforexskills

• Verified Vendor
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 01:23:56 AM »
Another way to keep memory usage down on a VPS is to restart it every now and then, which cleans out the junk that has accumulated.

But that requires the MT4s being run  to be closed before the VPS restart. I have noticed in the past that this action can sometimes lead to EAs being removed from charts, especially when you have quite a few EAs running. So I always check for that after the VPS restart and switching the MT4s back on.

And this past weekend I noticed something else. No EAs were bumped off in the process, but on six of the charts the set files had been bumped off the EAs while still leaving the EAs with their smiley faces. So a few trades were left unattended until I realised what had happened.

So, need to check for both EAs and their set files when closing and restarting MT4s.
Information, rebates and products -
http://www.diyforexskills.com

Offline drunkfx

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »
Can anyone trade using VPS and would like to know the advantages of using it to run Forex EA?

Yes you get lower latency and hence lower slippage especially during news trading. Even a couple of ms make difference in those trades. For example I run robot on Hotforex which trade news and using Amsterdam VPS near their servers with ping <1 ms increase my winning ratio by about 30%.

Offline fxopen78

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2021, 11:41:26 PM »
VPS needed for trader robot-based trading because with VPS they can running robot full time without worrying computer will crash, if running robot manually with the turn-on computer full days, I think will worry if the computer being overhead and crashed.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Yesterday at 04:52:22 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by fxopen78
[February 23, 2021, 11:54:17 PM]

[February 23, 2021, 05:15:14 PM]

[February 22, 2021, 04:42:08 PM]

Re: How to choose a broker? by drunkfx
[February 22, 2021, 06:58:06 AM]