collapse

Author Topic: Who makes a living on Forex???  (Read 41541 times)

Offline froggy51

Who makes a living on Forex???
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Come on... cough up... I want to know...

Who among the users of this forum makes a living on forex?

AND - HOW do you do it???

I know you are out there - statistics tell me that 1% of forex traders make a good living on the forex - Donna has a good following on this forum and so it stands to reason that a few of you must be out there.... perhaps reading this thread right now...

I want to know what strategies you use?? EA's ?? Manual ??? Combination ???

I have to admit - I make a few extra dollars per month - but would hardly class myself in the - ready to quit my job and make lots of money on the forex category (but this is where I secretly want to be!)

In my view one of the best ways to learn is from those with more experience - hence my creation of this thread...

Personally I use 3 EA's:
FGT 3 on ThinkForex - makes around 10% return per month
Hyper EA 2/1 - makes around 5% per month (FinFX)
WSFR - early days but seems to make around 20% per month (FinFX)

I run these EA's off a VPS (CNS - UK)

So... lets hear it from those who can and DO make a living on the forex...

What is YOUR secret setup

Include as much detail as you can - EA's/Manual strategies/Broker/VPS provider/monthly returns/even books to read if referring to manual strategy etc

Offline petersurrey

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
Re: Who makes a living on Forex???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »

I know you are out there - statistics tell me that 1% of forex traders make a good living on the forex - Donna has a good following on this forum and so it stands to reason that a few of you must be out there.... perhaps reading this thread right now...

I have to admit - I make a few extra dollars per month - but would hardly class myself in the - ready to quit my job and make lots of money on the forex category (but this is where I secretly want to be!)

In my view one of the best ways to learn is from those with more experience - hence my creation of this thread...

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Include as much detail as you can - EA's/Manual strategies/Broker/VPS provider/monthly returns/even books to read if referring to manual strategy etc

I am sure the vast majority are like me who trade part time - or allow bots to do it for them via a vps..although this produces a decent income I still don't trust bots enough to replace a guaranteed wage; in fact the two have to run concurrently  - trading ths way is way too risky to ever replace a job IMO. However IF you have the ability and inclination to trade manually giving up a job to trade would be a no brainer..you're not reliant on a possible short term fancy allogorithm..

I did very well with cloverix before the broker switched to variable spreads then moved to wsfx which is doing well at the moment. I use CNS and smartlivemarkets. You have to be rutheless and cull any bots which underperform quickly - I've tested loads like others here and view the sub. as part of my trading costs. Steady winner vs 5 is also a good option IMO.

Overall I believe it is very possible to make a ( high risk) living but it is hard work - constant reviewing of the latest options, tweaking strategies and pairs traded with existing bots to maintain and improve performance, adding new systems when other begin to fail and, as I said ealrier, it would be very brave of any one to do so without at least a years solid profits to allow this to replace a job..

Offline oshun123

• Real money trading with Megadroid,Fapturbo & Turbo Morning Trade
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
You have one EA making you 10% per month, another with 5% per month and a third with probably 20% per month but cannot make a living from this earnings...i am surprised?

You definitely should put more money into your trading account with this results...but than i never have seen any EA which really has this kind of results...yes, maybe if you take hugh risk, but at the end all of them fail over the time. Look at all this famous EA's like Megadroid, Kangaroo EA etc. and you will see what i mean.

I trade manually and make about 10% monthly but I *definitely* could live from 10% earnings with an appropiate sized trading account.

If you really want to make a living from trading there is only one chance you have: learn trading. Keep it simple, keep risk low. Forget about EA's or other magic systems. Just trade what you see. The simpler your system the better it will be.

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Subscribe to my trading signals: http://www.mql5.com/en/signals/3587
Follow my trades in realtime via twitter: http://www.twitter.com/oshun123
Visit my website with realtime trade information: http://www.sevenpips.com
Myfxbook account: https://www.myfxbook.com/portfolio/sevenpips-real/285279

Offline froggy51

Who makes a living on Forex???
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
You have one EA making you 10% per month, another with 5% per month and a third with probably 20% per month but cannot make a living from this earnings...i am surprised?

You definitely should put more money into your trading account with this results...but than i never have seen any EA which really has this kind of results...yes, maybe if you take hugh risk, but at the end all of them fail over the time. Look at all this famous EA's like Megadroid, Kangaroo EA etc. and you will see what i mean.

I trade manually and make about 10% monthly but I *definitely* could live from 10% earnings with an appropiate sized trading account.

If you really want to make a living from trading there is only one chance you have: learn trading. Keep it simple, keep risk low. Forget about EA's or other magic systems. Just trade what you see. The simpler your system the better it will be.

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Good advice

What manual trading strategy do you use? Do you post on meet pips?

I have followed your advice by the way - putting more cash in my trading account this month... Lets see how it goes.

Offline oshun123

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »
My strategy changed from using indicators to pure chart trading with support/resistance and trendlines. pivot points as well work quite good for me.

I started with EA's, continued with indicator trading and ended up trading like mentioned above. Over time I experienced that this works best. I avoid the news and times of low volumes as well as both cases often have unpredictable spikes messing up chart trading strategies.

I only go for small pip counts (about 10-15) and use tight stop losses against support/resistance.

You can take a look at my blog at

www.sevenpips.com

where you can find a link to my myfxbook statements for the 2 accounts I am trading.

As you will recognize from the charts sometimes I did not follow my rules...but i try hard. Every time i let loosers run i had a hard time, believe me. As soon as emotion come into the trade you will mess up. Therfore I really try to avoid trading without stop loss. At least at some point i put in a hedge position to win some time to cool down my emotions...

My prefered traders are Rob Booker and Joe the Trader (look at amazon book store for  for "the wallaby trade" and "five bullets"). Both seem to do quite well and have really simple trading systems.

Currently I am reading "the secret of economic indicators" from bamohl bernhard which gives a good overview which economic news have what kind of influence in forex. Even if i do not trade the news it helps me to understand when it is better to stay away from trading.

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Good advice

What manual trading strategy do you use? Do you post on meet pips?

I have followed your advice by the way - putting more cash in my trading account this month... Lets see how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:01:19 PM by oshun123 »

Offline petersurrey

• DonbonsPrivateGroup
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Oshun I note you have a 500 pip open trade drawdown on 3 trades and no stops on those trades - not exactly low risk..I do agree that manual trading is the ultimate goal..

froggy try to keep expectations in perpective here; 5% return per month is a staggering return and if you are getting 20% that probably means you are risking way too much. There is plenty of time to make profits IF the system or strategy is robust enough. Keep risk low - it was only 3 years ago that 2000-3000 pip fluctuations within a few days was the norm for major pairs. Only one bot (asirikuy bots) actually adjusts for this volatility by significantly reducing lot size..and has proven itself in ten year back tests to have survived ( 99% tick data).. a useful lesson..

Offline oshun123

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
The open trade is actually not my trade...the account is my nephews account and unfortunately his father from time to time thinks he has to gamble...i decided not to touch this trade anymore. It really gets on my nerves to see how he opens more lots in the same direction (like today) the deeper the account draws down.

It is really annoying in this case as I was able to bring the account up from 6800 to almost 19000 within 8 months just to see how somebody else looses 3600 USD within a few days...but I cannot change it.

About stops: I have to admit, i also trade without hard stops most times but only if i sit in front of my PC and no news are nearby. I try to avoid overnight positions, at least i hedge them.

And yes, i as well make mistakes but at least I know what i should do and try hard to avoid them.

Personally I use 3 EA's:

Oshun I note you have a 500 pip open trade drawdown on 3 trades and no stops on those trades - not exactly low risk..I do agree that manual trading is the ultimate goal..

froggy try to keep expectations in perpective here; 5% return per month is a staggering return and if you are getting 20% that probably means you are risking way too much. There is plenty of time to make profits IF the system or strategy is robust enough. Keep risk low - it was only 3 years ago that 2000-3000 pip fluctuations within a few days was the norm for major pairs. Only one bot (asirikuy bots) actually adjusts for this volatility by significantly reducing lot size..and has proven itself in ten year back tests to have survived ( 99% tick data).. a useful lesson..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:17:57 PM by oshun123 »

Offline froggy51

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
Thanks for your advice Oshun.  I will have a look at the books you mentioned.

Peter... I am not disappointed with my results - far from it - but I don't make a living at this game.  Perhaps in a few years I will muster the confidence... a bit more practice manual trading first though.  I realise there is no elusive "Holy Grail" strategy at this game (and if there were a holy grail then everyone would jump on it and it would not be a holy grail any more).... however it can't hurt to get more advice from the pros. Consistent profits whatever the percentage - that's my holy grail - and I think you are right - trading manually is the only real way to achieve this long term.

Someone once told me that the best traders he had ever seen he met in an internet cafe whilst touring asia.  These guys would come in once a month... trade using internet cafe computers for a morning session and then disappear again for the rest of the month.  They were feeding their families trading manually - I'm sure they had/have the potential to be seriously rich but don't seem to covet money like a lot of us in the west....

Ah well - off to Amazon to peruse some books ...

Green pips to all.

Froggy

Offline fmonera

• Trading for long term profitability
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Someone once told me that the best traders he had ever seen he met in an internet cafe whilst touring asia.  These guys would come in once a month... trade using internet cafe computers for a morning session and then disappear again for the rest of the month.  They were feeding their families trading manually - I'm sure they had/have the potential to be seriously rich but don't seem to covet money like a lot of us in the west....

Many people likes this stories about mystical demi-god traders with a holy grail that appears for a limited time and then dissapears as smoke :)

The truth is far more boring. To succeed in trading (either manual or auto) you need the same that in any other discipline. Study, understand, practice.

Why people take almost 10 years of university and practice as a resident in a hospital before being a doctor and at the same time they are convinced that they will win money just buying some black box to trade forex or trading a strategy taken from forex factory?

The most intelligent people in the planet (including myself :P ) are in this business. Period. There is no business that attracts more a sharp mind than trading. What makes you think that a $99 EA will take the money of the IQ 180 teams of traders around the world and put it in your pocket?

The reallity is that the silver bullet is not in the system at all. In fact, I believe there are very very few long term exploitable inefficiences.

In my oppinion, to succeed we need to:

- Understand the markets. This means spend many hours every day during many years studying. You can play the market before, but you will inevitably loose money. There is not a shorter path.
 - Understand statistics and have a deep understanding of statistics for every system we trade. At least basic knowledge is essential.
 - Understand the trading systems. It is simply not possible to win in the long term without this understanding.
 - Understand who are the players in the markets, at least the 4 main ones, forget about the fallacy of the two sides: buyers / sellers
 - Understand demand / supply
 - Have an exit strategy for each system we trade
 - Understand risk. This topic is very deep and essential, probably the most important factor to succeed.

So, as a conclussion, I would say that successful traders deeply understand the markets, their systems and applies a strict risk management.

Offline oshun123

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »
I think as well we have to be careful when talking about trading for a living. Everybody lives in a different part of the world and expectations may be quite different. As far as i am concerned (located in Austria) I guess I would need at least USD 50.000 - 80.000 in my trading account in order to earn an average income. If i could be sure that I can live from trading I even would think about relocating to a cheaper country.

I actually think in order to be a good trader you do not have to be very intellligent, it's more like spending lots of days watching the charts and learn what actually moves the price. Especially persons who have their opinions and want to bring it into their trading often fail. Your opponents don't care about you. If you are wrong you have to admit it an move on...not trying to defend your position.

Thanks for your advice Oshun.  I will have a look at the books you mentioned.

Peter... I am not disappointed with my results - far from it - but I don't make a living at this game.  Perhaps in a few years I will muster the confidence... a bit more practice manual trading first though.  I realise there is no elusive "Holy Grail" strategy at this game (and if there were a holy grail then everyone would jump on it and it would not be a holy grail any more).... however it can't hurt to get more advice from the pros. Consistent profits whatever the percentage - that's my holy grail - and I think you are right - trading manually is the only real way to achieve this long term.

Ah well - off to Amazon to peruse some books ...

Green pips to all.

Froggy

Offline hybrid

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
The traders who had passion make a plan for trading can make profit from forex. It is not a much difficult business just do some practice for some months all will clear in your mind. After having a live account you will improve your trading gradually . No one makes profits in days have a patience for this purpose .

Offline indicator

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
I don't trade for living, I only trade as part time, even then I don't make enough profit every month, some months are still red for me, so I never think of trading fully for my living.

Offline Rahim Miya

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
Yes! Forex is my permanent profession. On the other hand, I do manual trading in my live account. Because, I see any specific trading strategy is not enough to manage handsome money for every month. On the other hand, I always try to realize the language of market according to my own trading knowledge. And, I believe manual trading is much better way of trading from EA based trading. Even though TradingBanks broker allows any kind of trading strategy or system.  But, I am happy with my manual trading performance.

Offline Forex Verified

• Gold Vendor
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »
Quote from: Rahim Miya link=msg=347999 date=1444743260

Yes! Forex is my permanent profession. On the other hand, I do manual trading in my live account. Because, I see any specific trading strategy is not enough to manage handsome money for every month. On the other hand, I always try to realize the language of market according to my own trading knowledge. And, I believe manual trading is much better way of trading from EA based trading. Even though TradingBanks broker allows any kind of trading strategy or system.  But, I am happy with my manual trading performance.

If your manual strategy can be coded into an EA you will have great help in your trading.
If it's not verified, don't buy it - www.forexverified.com

Offline indicator

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 06:43:10 AM »
Not me, I don't earn much from trading yet, some months even go red still in my trading career. I'm hoping to improve but I don't want to rely on forex only for my living ever.

browse forum

* Recent Posts

Re: Stock Trader Pro (via mql5.com) by ivanvp
[Yesterday at 03:39:53 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[Yesterday at 01:55:36 PM]

Re: Who makes a living on Forex??? by fxopen78
[July 09, 2020, 11:44:39 PM]

Re: Who makes a living on Forex??? by Eliza Abrams
[July 09, 2020, 03:43:39 PM]

Re: EUR/USD by Eliza Abrams
[July 09, 2020, 03:40:00 PM]